Thread: TOC Format

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have one heading in all caps. All the rest are Title Case. I don't want any of the headings to be ALL CAPS in the TOC. If I change the font in that one heading to ALL CAPS in the style and type the heading in lower case, it works fine in the TOC, but, it changes all of my headings to ALL CAPS in the document which I do not want to happen. If I select that one heading and change the font (not the style) to ALL CAPS, and type the heading in lower case, it shows up as ALL CAPS in the TOC. How do I change it so that it appears ALL CAPS in the Heading, but Title Case in the TOC.

Regards,

Dea Friloux

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like your subsequent heading styles are dependent on the first heading style, and so, headings "2" and beyond adopt all of the first heading settings that aren't specifically defined otherwise in those subsequent heading styles. If this is the case, you may need to redefine each of the subsequent heading styles to be specifically not all caps. (This is my experience with the same scenario, at least.)

Or redefine the level 2 heading, and make all the others dependent on it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply pingdat. However, your answer doesn't make sense to me. I have one heading in Style 2 that is different from all the other headings in Style 2. My TOC is picking up the caps that I typed in that one heading and putting it just like I typed in the TOC (which is exactly what it's supposed to do). I don't want it to be ALL CAPS in the TOC. I want Title Case in the TOC. How do I "trick" the TOC into putting that heading in Title Case instead of caps. (I tried using \* caps in the switch code, but then it puts those things that are supposed to be all caps into initial caps and that won't work.)

Regards,

d

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, so if I understand, you have several occurrences of one style, “Style 2”, which, in just one occurrence, you want to be all caps, in the text only, not in the TOC.

The only thing I can think of is to use (or make up) a different style, defined to be all caps, for that one all-caps heading (and add the new style to the TOC options so it will be included in the table).

(Styles are wonderful, aren’t they, but sometimes they’re trouble...)

Judy

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have one heading that is different than the rest in the same style it sounds like you have manual formatting applied to that one line. Simply select that one line and clear the manual formatting using <CTL SPACE>. It should revert to the default look of the style.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand what you're asking (sometimes hard when we can't see what you you see on the screen), you need to change the formatting only for the TOC entries so that they are only initial capped as opposed to how they actually appear in the document which you indicated you want all capped. If that is correct, then you should be able to make the style change from the "Insert" toolbar drop down, then choose "Reference", then choose "Index and Tables" then at the Table of Contents tab, there is a button titled "Modify" in the lower right corner of this window. Once you choose that a smaller "Style" window will open showing the various TOC levels and the fonts and formatting associated with that. Choose the TOC level that is giving you grief and then your table should be OK.

If the above doesn't work, you will want to be sure that your document itself doesn't have a character formatting applied to your headings to where no matter how you type the word, it will view as all caps. In this case, the TOC will still pull the word as you actually typed it (all caps, initial caps, no caps, etc.) and so you when working with a heading that has this type of style attached, you need to type the heading in the format that you want it to display in the TOC even though on the screen in the document itself, it will always view according to what the character style shows.

I hope this helps.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pingdat View Post
    Ah, so if I understand, you have several occurrences of one style, “Style 2”, which, in just one occurrence, you want to be all caps, in the text only, not in the TOC.

The only thing I can think of is to use (or make up) a different style, defined to be all caps, for that one all-caps heading (and add the new style to the TOC options so it will be included in the table).

(Styles are wonderful, aren’t they, but sometimes they’re trouble...)

Judy
    I think I would do as Pingdat suggests and create a separate style.

But you might also change the setting to all caps for your style 2; type all the Style 2 headings in caps and lowercase (c&lc); and then manually format all --except the one you want in all caps-- to be c&lc. The TOC will show all items c&lc. I think this method is too easy to break. But if you only have a few Style2s in a small document, the problem might not be too big to handle.

Pam
    Pam Caswell