Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This seems simple enough (to me) but I can't get a straight answer anywhere... so maybe it's actually NOT possible??

I want to run a local javascript file from a bookmarklet in IE7, rather than run into the URL length limit by trying to squeeze the whole script on to one line. It would look something like this:

javascript: <some command to reference and run the file test.js located on my local HD>

Surely (hopefully) there's a way?

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Alan from my understanding you don't have to run it into one line and have it just written with your usual hard returns and can have some semi-colons removed. By the wording of your question am I to assume you have a rather long script that is limited by the available string length?

Whilst writing this I have hadan idea so bear with me and I will test it out
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I am back

Try this code

Code:
    javascript:var js=document.createElement('script');
    js.type='text/javascript';
    js.src='localhost/alan.js';
    document.body.appendChild(js);
    void(0);
    You may have to change the js.src to 127.0.0.1/alan.js where alan.js is the js file containing your script
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jezza View Post
    OK I am back

Try this code
    You may have to change the js.src to 127.0.0.1/alan.js where alan.js is the js file containing your script
    Many thanks Jezza. I'll give that a shot. To specify the file on local host, what is the syntax to point to, say,
    C:\My scripts\alan.js ? Not being focused much on web stuff, I always screw up the quotes and slashes and cetera.

Also, I found some scripts on The Anatomy of a JavaScript Bookmarklet, which I can't get to work unfortunately. I kinda get what's (meant to be) happening, but the MainApp reference has me a little confuted.

Will let you know my outcomes.

Alan