3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an odd problem, but I'll guess that someone has seen this! This particular system is a Dell Latitude d820, 2 GB RAM running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. It has Office Standard 2007 installed. Tonight Outlook decided to go sideways and will not load. The other parts of Office (Word, Excel, etc) appear to work well. The initial message Outlook displays is: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window". I did a system repair, both with the diagnostic tool and with the original install disk. I got a on-time display of the following message after the "repair":

"An extension failed to initialize. Cannot open file extend.dat. The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right click the folder that contains the file and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder."

So, I'm not sure where extend.dat is located. If it's in 'Users\Bob Harris\Local Settings' I've got a problem because in Win-7 I've yet to determine how to access that folder with the operating system. No matter what I do I get an "Access Denied" message.

I could uninstall Office and reinstall, but I'm not sure that will work either.

Wow! Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harris View Post
    "An extension failed to initialize. Cannot open file extend.dat. The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right click the folder that contains the file and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder."
    The path is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat.

If you do not have access to AppData or any folder undder it your security permissions may not be correct. See Windows 7 Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder for details on correcting this.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well that was simple and VERY helpful! Thank you very much, Joe. I think I was still thinking in XP terms!

Also, managed to unravel the Outlook problem. Just to close the loop: I run my primary email as IMAP so that laptops and smartphones can use the same email. I also keep a separate .pst file for contact, calendar and other stuff. That .pst file is located in a different directory from the usual Outlook file location. It turned out that the data files that Outlook uses for the IMAP only were corrupted. By simply deleting them as well as the extend.dat, every thing began working properly again.

Yet another good learning experience.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply!
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harris View Post
    Yet another good learning experience.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply!
    You're welcome. Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe
    Joe