New Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought a Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit edition through the student discount for about $30 got the $200 hundred dollar edition professional. The download was fully official through Microsoft and Iriver in an ISO format. I bought it on Jan 1st 2010.

http://www.microsoft.../windows-7.aspx

The deal is not really explained for how long it will be going. It started in November if I remember correctly. So if you are a student going for at least one class I think in a coming semester, with a valid student email, an .edu account. You can buy online for $30 either 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7. There are two forms ISO and some other file type I have never used before. So burn the ISO and it works fully, mine did. I am a student and this deal rocks.

If you get the ISO download and burn it, you don't need the back up disc they sell for $15 more. I really paid $45, the back up disc is in the mail, but I'm running Windows 7 now from my burned ISO version install disc. They don't show you the download page until you pay, that's why I bought the back up disc, get it for $30 just burn two copies of the ISO for yourself.
    Do not do the other download, the non-ISO one. It is meant for an in-place install, and problems are linked with the in-place installs.

Cheers

Thanks
    You do have to qualify for this discount. You have to be a student, or staff member at a qualifying university in most cases. My wife works at a local university near our home. In this case Win 7 ultimate was offered either in 32 bit or 64 bit editions, although we were limited to 1 of each, But in our case the University provided an actual DVD and key. Our price, $14.95 plus S&H and sales tax. Total less than $25. We have acquired several versions of Windows, Office, etc in this manner.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice, you got an even better deal then. I was looking to see if the deal was still up on the site. The price has gone up to $65 for the download ISO and key code.

The $65 Professional edition is still better than the $200 Professional Windows.

Cheers

Thanks
    There is another Microsoft web site https://www.dreamspark.com/Products/ProductList.aspx. If you are a student and can provide credentials to prove it (student ID, .edu e-mail address, etc.), you can download various software for free. There are programs such as Visual Studio, SQL Server, Expression Studio 3, and many more. I am a student and signed up for this in November. It really comes in handy for an I.T. student on a low budget.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Augustine View Post
    There is another Microsoft web site https://www.dreamspark.com/Products/ProductList.aspx. If you are a student and can provide credentials to prove it (student ID, .edu e-mail address, etc.), you can download various software for free. There are programs such as Visual Studio, SQL Server, Expression Studio 3, and many more. I am a student and signed up for this in November. It really comes in handy for an I.T. student on a low budget.
    For Computer Science Students you may also consider acm.org which is the website for Association of Computer Machinery. It's 20 USD for a year but, you can get professional versions of a lot of programs using the Developer AA (previously MSDNAA) partnership. It also comes with a few other partnerships that give you access for certifications, some text resources, and a couple online magazines (tech magazines of course).

It's been my experience that they don't properly check you credentials (although they make you wait while they do) but I plead to those who don't properly qualify to not join. It was once possible to get Windows 7 with this deal but, because a bunch of people joined that didn't belong there and Microsoft or ACM or perhaps both of them decided it was better to remove Win7 than to properly verify people, some of us lost a very important resource.
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, I guess I made out very well. My daughter attends University of Buffalo and she bought me the Win 7 Ultimate for $7 (both 32 & 64 bit on separate CD's).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Nicastro View Post
    Wow, I guess I made out very well. My daughter attends University of Buffalo and she bought me the Win 7 Ultimate for $7 (both 32 & 64 bit on separate CD's).
    But how many key codes, as you can use ONLY one bit version at a time per key code?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good People,
    1. The $30 offer ended 3 Jan 2010.
    2. Go to WIN741.COM for current prices and products available for students.
    3. Office 2007 Ultimate still available to students for ~$60.00

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone received a Microsoft Windows 7 Free upgrade Disks from the PC manufacturer for the PC with Vista which was purchased between
    June 26 to October 22, 2009?

I bought a Toshiba notebook with Vista OS mounted from Amazon.com last September, 2009.
    The notebook came with free Microsoft Windows 7 upgrade and I followed the all necessary steps which are required to do get it in September, 2009.

As of today, I did not receive anything. I just wonder anyone who is in same circumstance received it or know whenever will receive it?.

Would be appreciated for any posting!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two different key codes. They were bought as separate discs but as a single deal for $7 from the book store. (And yes they are absolutely legal and pass all MICROSOFT Genuine test). I'm not using the 32 bit disk but I found a loop hole to activate the 64 bit without putting in the key code. Illegal? Yes and no! It's installed on one machine, one time and will not be used again! Method might be questionable but intent and use is not. It's legally paid for and used according to the EULA. I'm sure I'll hear all kinds of "talk" about this!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    But how many key codes, as you can use ONLY one bit version at a time per key code?

Thanks
    ... I found a loop hole to activate the 64 bit without putting in the key code...
    Which begs the question: Why?

And what is the 'loop hole'?
    Regards,
    PaulB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I found an activation crack on the web. I wasn't actively looking for one but found it by accident. I didn't intend to bypass the install procedure of the OS, but I was building a new computer from scratch and was not sure how I wanted to partition the hard drive or even if I was going to add another hard drive. I was even mixing IDE with SATA, so I wanted to try it out first and see what went down. That way I could re-install without a hassle after I decided how I wanted to set up my system. However, the install went so smooth and perfect, and the activation crack work flawlessly that I decided to leave well enough alone. This will give me anther opportunity to re-do my system down the road when and if the need arises. The important thing for me was that I have a legal install and the ability to re-install at a future date.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Which begs the question: Why?

And what is the 'loop hole'?

Thanks
    ... re-install without a hassle after I decided how I wanted to set up my system.
    I wasn't questioning the 'legality' of your actions but I was trying to understand why you did it that way. Your concerns may be unfounded, however. I've clean installed Windows 7 at least 3 times on one computer using an upgrade disk just trying to get it right! No problems.
    Regards,
    PaulB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    I wasn't questioning the 'legality' of your actions but I was trying to understand why you did it that way. Your concerns may be unfounded, however. I've clean installed Windows 7 at least 3 times on one computer using an upgrade disk just trying to get it right! No problems.
    Paul,

I may be mistaken about this but I thought you only have three chances to re-install Win 7 before it can't be done again! I'm not sure how they do it but I think that may be one of many EULA interpretations. I also think that this was discussed in one of the Newsletters from this past summer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Norm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I may be mistaken about this but I thought you only have three chances to re-install Win 7 before it can't be done again! I'm not sure how they do it but I think that may be one of many EULA interpretations. I also think that this was discussed in one of the Newsletters from this past summer. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Microsoft has always had a combination of frequency of activation and total number of activations. What that exact combination and how it is applied with Windows 7 is still not generally known. However, Microsoft have always been very understanding in the US about calling them if there are activation issues with legitimate copies.

Joe
    Joe