2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BEST SOFTWARE

Highly efficient mouse tricks and 'gestures'

ByIan "Gizmo" Richards

In my Dec. 3 Best Software column, I showed you how to work more effectively by using keyboard shortcuts.

Now I'll tell you about some operations you can perform with your mouse that can help you work faster with less effort.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/01/07/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 14:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very useful article. As I was incorporating some of the tips I noticed that my Logitech mouse would not accept
    the "Windows" key in the keystroke assignment box. Anyone else have this problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I couldn't imagine computing without mouse gestures, and can never understand why anybody who spends any significant time on a computer each day doesn't use them. I started off just using an extension in Firefox, but once I'd mastered that and discovered how useful mouse gestures were I progressed to StrokeIt.

The configuration of gestures in StrokeIt takes a few minutes to learn and understand, but will save you minutes every day, hours every week.

My suggestion would always be to start off by learning just a few gestures and gradually build up. For instance Up for a New Tab, Down to Close Tab, Left for Back and Right for Enter. In StrokeIt you can make gestures specific to a single program, or Global (for instance I use a right gesture to "enter" in all programs).

You can then progress to something like a backslash gesture to Copy and a forward slash to Paste, whatever suits you.

Very quickly you'll be using dozens of gestures in all of your programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gizmo wrote:
    My favorite nearly-universal mouse shortcut is to hold the Ctrl key while clicking a link to open the page in a new tab. I use this combination dozens of time every day.

Clicking the wheel on a link also opens the link in a new tab, at least it does in IE8 and FF 3.5.6, with my mouse (Intellimouse). I don't recall that I've set anything up differently to make it happen.

ed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For the last 15+ years I have used a very simple and effective method to increase mouse & keyboarding efficiency. Put the mouse on the left side of the keyboard! Yes, use your left hand for the mouse! And No, I'm not left-handed. I have taught several right-handed people this method and they have found it to be much more efficient. Think about it - where is the 10 key pad, the enter key, the arrow keys & the navigation keys? At the right hand. This makes your right hand over-worked! Spread the load to your left hand. And you will find while the left hand is on the mouse, the right hand is on the keyboard pressing keys.

A few secrets make this work.
    #1 DO NOT "swap" the mouse buttons in the mouse settings. Leave the right on the right and the left on the left. Keep It Simple. Swapping buttons makes it too confusing. Especially if other people use your computer.
    #2 Spend some time getting used to this arrangement by playing several games of Solitaire. The left double-click with your middle finger may be the hardest thing for you to master. You will likely get your left hand trained faster than you thought. Stick to it for a couple days & you'll be hooked.
    #3 Rest your right hand on the flat area around the arrow keys so it's ready to tap on any keys close by for navigation or number entry.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found Stroke-It awhile ago too and also highly recommend it. Once you get used to mouse gestures in your browser you'll find them useful in other programs as well. Keep the gestures common between the programs. Also, you can export and import gesture files to share between computers.