Thread: Windows 7 Key

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I purchased OEM Licensed Copy of Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit. Installed with no problems. My question is can I use the same install Key on this computer if I want to change from 32 bit to 64 bit?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you register Windows 7? If not you shouldn't have any problem. Even if you did it might work. At most you'll have to call MS and explain why they should reset your first registration.

Thanks
    It seems to me that it would be in violation of the EULA Agreement from MS. Also if your changing to 64Bit,
    you must make sure your PC is ready for that, (all the Hardware Changes).

Also upgrading or purchasing Windows x64 you should get a new key with it.
    I do not believe it will work the way your wanting to go though. Good Luck.

P.S. You can install a 32 or 64 on a x64 Machine, but you cannot install a x64 on a x32 Machine.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bilmanis View Post
    I purchased OEM Licensed Copy of Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit. Installed with no problems. My question is can I use the same install Key on this computer if I want to change from 32 bit to 64 bit?
    To me: this means that you have purchased a full copy - not an upgrade. It also means that you are removing the 32-bit version from the computer.

On that particular basis, you would not be in violation of the Licence. The Product Key applies to the Version of Windows 7 - regardless of its bit size.
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    To me: this means that you have purchased a full copy - not an upgrade. It also means that you are removing the 32-bit version from the computer.

On that particular basis, you would not be in violation of the Licence. The Product Key applies to the Version of Windows 7 - regardless of its bit size.

Hi, I purchased and downloaded Win 7 from microsoft. They sent me back up copies for the 32 and 64 bit versions using the same key.

Thanks
    MS specifically states the key can be used for a 32 Bit copy -OR- a 64 Bit copy. You can not use for both. Even if you install both with the same key, the OS will stop working after a period of time unless you activate your copy, and you can not activate both with the same key.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As some of you know, the retail versions come with BOTH 32 and 64 bit DVDs, but only one can be use at a time.

You MAY be able to rebuild the same machine with the other bit version, but you will have to do a clean install and then the activation may have to be done by phone.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.