Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to dual boot on separate drives Vista and Win7, using Home Premium.
    After install, and on startup will it give me a choice which os I want to use?
    Thanks,
    Myles5

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles Frischer View Post
    I want to dual boot on separate drives Vista and Win7, using Home Premium.
    After install, and on startup will it give me a choice which os I want to use?
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Yes, you should get an option when you boot. See How to dual boot Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Vista installed first) & How To Dual Boot Vista and Windows 7 | NetworkWorld.com Community for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want it this way and your MB supports it,
    you can have them on seperate HDDs and be given an option
    at startup around the time that you can enter the bios to select which drive that you want to use.

This will eliminate any boot loader situations if something goes wrong.
    Each will have their own.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    But Pat, will BOTH drives be available in BOTH OS?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Both drives will be available, but the drive letters will change. The active OS will always call its drive "C:", and the alternate OS will show in Explorer as whatever drive letter is next available. It would be a good idea to label each drive with its OS name ("Vista" and "Win7", for example, to avoid confusion.

Also be aware that the bootmgr file will reside on the OS drive that was installed first, and if you ever want to eliminate the OS on that drive (erasing the partition) and go back to single booting, you'll need to copy the bootmgr file to the other OS drive (and the boot folder from root) to the second drive. You'll also need to run the recovery disk and fix boot and fix MBR.

Thanks
    I did this when installing W7 on an XP machine.
    I started XP, ran the W7 DVD and instructed it to install to a new drive "I". When finished it dual boots with XP still booting from the old 20Meg C: and W7 boots from the new 250Meg I: . This made it easy to gradually move my software but keep XP, 'just in case'. This process is about done and soon the old C: drive will join the bone yard. :-)
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RussB, I have been doing the same, and just completed the process. After moving the old XP drive, I discovered I couldn't boot Win 7 and had to put it back in the machine. That's how I discovered the bootmgr issue. BTW, to remove the XP line from the boot loader, I found EasyBCD to be much friendlier than the Microsoft BCDEdit tool.

Thanks
    Thanks for the forewarning, I'll be sure to do that before I remove the drive.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickback View Post
    Both drives will be available, but the drive letters will change. The active OS will always call its drive "C:", and the alternate OS will show in Explorer as whatever drive letter is next available. It would be a good idea to label each drive with its OS name ("Vista" and "Win7", for example, to avoid confusion.

Also be aware that the bootmgr file will reside on the OS drive that was installed first, and if you ever want to eliminate the OS on that drive (erasing the partition) and go back to single booting, you'll need to copy the bootmgr file to the other OS drive (and the boot folder from root) to the second drive. You'll also need to run the recovery disk and fix boot and fix MBR.
    Thanks for your help.
    Myles

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a brand new drive that I want to install 7 (full version) onto while keeping my Vista on Drive C. Before I do the install of 7 to the new drive do I need to change the boot startup options so the new drive boots first so if 7 reboots during installation it does not boot back into the C: Vista drive instead of the new Drive or does it automatically take care of it?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a brand new drive that I want to install 7 (full version) onto while keeping my Vista on Drive C. Before I do the install of 7 to the new drive do I need to change the boot startup options so the new drive boots first so if 7 reboots during installation it does not boot back into the C: Vista drive instead of the new Drive or does it automatically take care of it?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast