New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently upgraded an HP dv7-1245dx laptop from Vista Home Premium (64bit) to Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit). Overall the upgrade went pretty smooth even though it took over 4 hours but once Windows 7 was up and running everything seemed to be working fine. HP has a utility called PC Health which I used to upgrade anything that "needed updating" and I think that's where my problem started. That process took me several days and I don't recall exactly when the keyboard on the laptop stopped working but now the only way that I can type on the machine is to connect an external keyboard to it. I've contacted HP Tech support but they have not been too helpful because I cannot seem to get them to understand that it's some type of driver issue. My only recourse at this time is to start over. Fortunately, I created a disk image of the original installation and I will probably have to do the upgrade all over again. I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if they have did they have a better solution than reinstalling all over again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you get your Windows 7 DVD from HP or is it a retail version?

If retail, then yes you have many "Generic" drivers installed.
    Can you provide a link to where you downloaded these Drivers through "PC Health"?
    Your copy of PC Health is most likely written for the original OS Vista, and does not work with a Retail version of Windows 7.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure you check HP's downloads for your PC. For mine, there were a number of HP programs and drivers I had to install to replace the HP Vista programs and drivers. I had to do this prior to updating Windows 7 via Microsoft (disable your internet connection once reinstallation starts, if you go this route). I'm not sure if PC Health is robust enough to download and install everything that's available on HP's download site.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "HP has a utility called PC Health which I used to upgrade anything that "needed updating" and I think that's where my problem started." PC Health worked like a charm under Vista.

But, Windows 7 does not need it, as all W7 Device Drivers are delivered via Windows updates (a new feature). There should never be any "W7-ONLY" Device Drivers listed on any manufacturer's website. And, it's for this reason that PC Health is no longer required, there are no W7 Drivers, and it was only written for VISTA.

TIP: If, for some reason, any are missing for your PC, you'd likely have to go to HP's website and Manually download the latest VISTA drivers. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to provide Microsoft with all of their W7 drivers, ahead of time, including all computer manufacturers, and peripheral makers of Printers, Monitors, etc. And, x64 drivers, in particular, are still a problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually there is a Windows 7 version of PC Health, at least for my HP m9517c. Along with a Microsoft Host Controller update which isn't, yet, available through Windows 7 Update. Also, for any peripherals attached or part of your PC, it's best to go to the manufacturer's website to find new drivers. Those that do get pushed via Windows 7 update may not be the latest or have the same features as the ones on the manufacturer's website.

Thanks
    One of the first things to check for when considering an upgrade to Windows 7 is whether there is a BIOS update available from your PC/Motherboard manufacturer; sometimes, the new BIOS makes a big difference.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Before upgrading to Windows 7 you should download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the Microsoft site. That will check for hardware and software incompatibilities.