Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hopefully there'll be an easy answer to this. . .

Having recently lumbered myself with a Vista OS PC, I've managed to throw out most of the bloat and get my computer the way I'd like it to be, rather than Microsoft's Vista development team (sic) would like it to be.

But one thing I still cannot address is the ludicrous inflation of the details view list in Windows Explorer.

In XP, it was a simple matter of going to View / Choose Detals, and from the sensibly limited range of possible choices, quickly use the up / down arrows to prioritise the sequence of displayed details.

In Vista's version of Windows Explorer, though. . .Not a chance.

Now I have to wade through one "detail" after another of such utter mind-numbing finger-aching irrelevance that on this basis alone, Vista deserves its fate in the dustbin of history.

Trying to get, say, an audio folder in Vista's Windows Explorer to display elementary information such as file type, bit rate, duration, and date created, date modified is impossible without a vast and time-consuming crawl through rubbish such as Your Cat's Vet's Brother's Home Phone Number / Personal Assistant's Mother's Care Home Address / Verified Moderated Uncle's Grandfather's Annotation Check, followed by Gawd alone knows how many finger-clicks to push relevant details up through the morass of junk.

Just what medication was the Windows Explorer development team on when they perpetrated such a manifest balls-up? Didn't it ever once occur to them / Microsoft that a separate drop-down could easily have been provided to accommodate those whose arcane tastes do indeed include a requirement to see that a file has Kinds / Mood / Optional Attendee Addresses????????

Anyway. Simple question:

Is there a way of permanently editing out the 15,896 unnecessary entries in the current Vista Explorer 'Choose Details' menu so that I'm left with but 20 or so from which to make my selection?

Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    While in WExplorer if the set of details that you want to see is already in the window
    you can click and drag it to reprioritize it.

Say for example if bit rate is there and on the right side off of the screen you can grab it and pull it
    to the left side so that it is in sight.

This way at least you wont have to go through the move up and move down mess.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All you have to do to change the columns is right click on the column headers in Windows Explorer and choose which detail to omit and which to show. Choose "More" to see the long list of possible columns. The pain in the neck part about this is you have to do it for each individual folder. I've never found a way to do it globally. Maybe Folder Options has a way to change them all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pat, hi May:

First off, apologies for this slightly belated reply, but we've been away for a few days to help lower my blood pressure after confronting Vista's version of Windows Explorer. . . Thankfully, the UK is in the Fourth Ice Age, so the cooling off process has helped.

Pat: yup, thanks for that -- if I do have to resort to re-prioritising that which was already prioritised (and yes, it certainly can happen!) then your tip will certainly save me the expense of further medication.

Mary: by weird coincidence, I did discover the right-click header facility. But of course, as you rightly say, it opens onto the Microsoft Wonderland whereby straightforward document, video or audio files must first risk being endowed with Alice's PA's PO Box Number or Mad Hatter's Annotated Mood Tones Secretarial Administrator Flower Variety before you can get to file type.

Windows Explorer remains the unedifying conceit that exposes Vista for what it truly is and always has been: an OS into which everything including the kitchen sink was chucked, without regard to the user or the consequences, a product of different development teams over whom Microsoft couldn't be bothered to appoint any kind of co-ordinator.

Meantime, having dumped everything from the hopeless UAC, Security Centre and Welcome pitch to the idiotic System Restore extent, tablet service, Internet print service, Windows Defender and sundry other absurdities, I'm still grappling with the challenge of stripping out all the daft rubbish from those Windows Explorer "view choices" so as to arrive at a set of descriptions which are, in some way. . .

Sane.

I must confess, there were times when I stuck religiously to Windows XP that I wondered if all the criticism of Vista was truly tenable, and if I was in some way a blind-faith Luddite who hankered for the past without proper regard to the benefits of the future.

Having now inherited Vista, and spent so long trying to put it right, I realise that no, the only Luddites -- in the sense of people going round, smashing up perfectly good equipment and wrecking perfectly good resources -- were actually all in Redmond.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary G View Post
    All you have to do to change the columns is right click on the column headers in Windows Explorer and choose which detail to omit and which to show. Choose "More" to see the long list of possible columns. The pain in the neck part about this is you have to do it for each individual folder. I've never found a way to do it globally. Maybe Folder Options has a way to change them all.
    I'm not on Vista at this moment - but as I recall, in Windows Explorer if you go to Tools, Folder Options and select the View Tab. You will then find the Apply to All Folders button. You should then be able to set the current view as the default.
    Mostly.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    I'm not on Vista at this moment - but as I recall, in Windows Explorer if you go to Tools, Folder Options and select the View Tab. You will then find the Apply to All Folders button. You should then be able to set the current view as the default.
    Mostly.
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    Mostly.
    WebGenii Home Page

Thanks
    Mostly.
    WebGenii Home Page

Thanks
    Mostly.
    WebGenii Home Page

Thanks
    Mostly.
    WebGenii Home Page

Thanks
    Mostly.
    WebGenii Home Page

Thanks
    Mostly.
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, WebGenii -- yes, you're quite right, it's possible to set an 'all folders' view option in Vista as in XP.

Well, I say 'possible', because there've been countless instances of Vista failing to remember that setting, as evidenced by posts all over the 'Net.

I've managed to sort mine out now -- almost -- but the glitches still occur wihere Vista fails to recognise / remember that a folder of audio material which I use for a DVD slideshow soundtrack backup isn't an audio folder at all but a video folder. Or thinks a video folder is a documents folder.

So the craziness continues.

Unless -- like me -- you had to retire your existing PC and get a budget-buy replacement with Vista pre-installed, then sticking with XP is obviously the best bet: I've yet to see in Vista a single improvement over good ol' XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, WebGenii -- yes, you're quite right, it's possible to set an 'all folders' view option in Vista as in XP.

Well, I say 'possible', because there've been countless instances of Vista failing to remember that setting, as evidenced by posts all over the 'Net.

I've managed to sort mine out now -- almost -- but the glitches still occur wihere Vista fails to recognise / remember that a folder of audio material which I use for a DVD slideshow soundtrack backup isn't an audio folder at all but a video folder. Or thinks a video folder is a documents folder.

Unless -- like me -- you had to retire your existing PC and get a budget-buy replacement with Vista pre-installed, then sticking with XP is obviously the best bet: I've yet to see in Vista a single improvement over good ol' XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast