Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to configure my husbands Vista computer so when it starts it starts as the user "Randy" not as the user "Pam" and it keeps opening in "Pam." How do I force it to use "Randy" before "Pam"? I tried renaming Pam as RPam thinking it might start with the first user alphabetically. It doesn't. I tried giving Pam a password and no password for Randy. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions? I'd even settle for it starting with both little icons available that my husband has to click on Randy but I'd prefer for it to just start up as the user "Randy."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Generally speaking, Windows has always defaulted to giving the last logged on user priority. (This goes along with the old "My" prefix for Documents etc etc etc.) Have you tried logging out *before* you shut the machine down? You may be able to use that to bring up the choice of Users when the machine is rebooted. HTH
    Gre

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this machine a laptop?

How is this machine being turned OFF?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    Generally speaking, Windows has always defaulted to giving the last logged on user priority. (This goes along with the old "My" prefix for Documents etc etc etc.) Have you tried logging out *before* you shut the machine down? You may be able to use that to bring up the choice of Users when the machine is rebooted. HTH
    I tried this: I was not logged in to Pam, I was logged into Randy. I logged out of Randy and then shut down (using the red box on the log in screen. I restarted the machine and it came up with (interestingly!) TWO Pam login buttons and one Randy login button. One Pam has a password associated and the other doesn't. (I put a password on Pam to see if that made a difference [it didn't] and then took the password off. Somehow it seems to think it still exists! Along with a Pam with NO password. This two Pam user screen doesn't happen when I just switch users.)

So the last logged off user doesn't force Win to use that user. Any other ideas? I'm open to anything.

Pam

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Is this machine a laptop?

How is this machine being turned OFF?
    No it is not a laptop. and I turn it off by using the normal way (the Start button) as opposed to just the power button.

Pam

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is the Start shutdown set to log of and power down or is it set to go to sleep or hibernation?

Everyplace I have found that the Welcome screen can NOT be disabled, so, if you have tweaked the system to do a auto login then you may not see it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the Start shutdown set to log of and power down or is it set to go to sleep or hibernation?

Everyplace I have found that the Welcome screen can NOT be disabled, so, if you have tweaked the system to do a auto login then you may not see it.
    It SAYS Shut Down, but how would I check to make sure?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have either of you used "Switch User"?

If so, with the machine running , go to Start, and the the arrow to the right of Shut down, and select "Log Off". Then you SHOULD see the Wecome screen, if you see another accounts desk top, do the same again, then you may see the Wecome screen.

Thanks
    This is one possibility. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...logonvista.htm This will however lower security settings by bypassing the password.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have either of you used "Switch User"?

If so, with the machine running , go to Start, and the the arrow to the right of Shut down, and select "Log Off". Then you SHOULD see the Wecome screen, if you see another accounts desk top, do the same again, then you may see the Wecome screen.
    I know I can use Switch User, but I want it to START UP as "Randy" not as "Pam" . I don't care about the security, he doesn't go online much and I use ZoneAlarm to protect our computers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    This is one possibility. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...logonvista.htm This will however lower security settings by bypassing the password.
    Thanks, but that doesn't help. I already logon without a password. I've tried using a password for "Pam" and not for "Randy" and all that happens is that my husband has to click on Switch User. I also tried renaming Pam to RPam so alphabetically it was after Randy, but that doesn't work either. If it would just start at the choose a user screen I'd be happy but Randy doesn't show up at all, either it logs in to Pam automatically (if there is no password) or tries to log in to Pam and you have to click on Switch User. I know that is adequate but I am trying to make my husband happy with my hand-me-down computer and he wants it to start up in HIS user not mine! <G>

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pamelaryan View Post
    I know I can use Switch User, but I want it to START UP as "Randy" not as "Pam" . I don't care about the security, he doesn't go online much and I use ZoneAlarm to protect our computers.
    If you followed my instructions above, it will delete the current "Switched User" files. When these are present all one needs to do is to use Switch user. When the files are gone , then the Welcome screen will appear, and one must select a ICON. After you get this cleaned up, so it always displays the Welcome screen on boot up, then PASSWORD your Pam account and do NOT give it him. He will NOT be able to use your account.

See http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like you have the computer set to logon automatically. In that case you won't see the welcome screen with the icons of the accounts.Personally, I would never log on without a passworded account. You are leaving yourself open to anyone. It's so simple and quick enough to type in a password for the user you want and logon. Or even use the switch user. Neither takes much time and is safer.