New Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently hundreds of people are having the same problem with MS Excel 7, Home/Student edition. Every time I open it, it loops continuously with the message, "Configuring Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne Yohn View Post
    Apparently hundreds of people are having the same problem with MS Excel 7, Home/Student edition. Every time I open it, it loops continuously with the message, "Configuring Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007..."
    I had the same issue with a DELL Laptop.
    I think but cannot be sure that the cause was the Trial version initially installed.
    It caused me a nightmare and in then end having tried everything on the Microsoft Website,
    and anywhere else I could find a possible solution, I ended up reinstalling Windows.
    Then installing software again and since that point the problem has gone away.

I partly got round the problem by rebuilding the Short cuts to Excel to point at the .exe file
    rather than using the installed ones, but it still occurred when I double clicked on an Excel file.

On the other hand this may nothing to do with the issue you are experiencing.
    Andrew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew

Here's the rest of the post I intended and inadvertently posted twice, once truncated:

=====
    There are so many complaints online that Microsoft cannot help but be aware of the problem but they tootle alone merrily ignoring it. There have been many heroic suggestions about how to solve the problem, but none of them works permanently for me. The closest I've come is by accessing "Run" when I want to use EXCEL and then pasting "reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1". Every time I must ask it to overwrite the file already there, but that will prevent the looping message.

Has anyone found a solution that actually and permanently works to prevent this looping configuration of EXCEL in this version of MS Office? Some people have said they get the same looping message with Word and Outlook. I don't -- only with EXCEL. I don't use Outlook but do use Word.
    =====

I am very unwilling to reinstall Windows XP or MS Office to try to get the looping to cease, though I'm glad you were able to get yours straightened out. My computer is also from Dell, but I don't think that's the source of the problem -- several computer mfgrs. were cited. And nowhere was my version of Office listed as a Trial version, though maybe it was. That's still no reason for Microsoft to let such a wide-spread problem continue without a fix.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, TonyE!

Thanks
    You are correct.
    It is a disgrace that this issue exists, and that the so called solution proposed by Microsoft does NOT resolve it.
    Nor does any service pack released to date.
    I persevered for weeks, but in the end cracked and re-installed because it was so *^*^*+^ annoying.
    I was lucky that the laptop was relatively New so it was not a major issue (but it was time consuming).
    Andrew