New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone have any information regarding being unable to add any URLs to my Favorites folder in IE7 when surfing the net..I get the following error message.."Unable to create <xxxxx>" "Unspecified error"
    I'm running Vista Home Premium...Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOR View Post
    Does anyone have any information regarding being unable to add any URLs to my Favorites folder in IE7 when surfing the net..I get the following error message.."Unable to create <xxxxx>" "Unspecified error"
    I'm running Vista Home Premium...Thanks
    I found this in another forum. The user claimed it corrected the unspecified error problem.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually, it's not just about file and folder permissions. I learned through HP tech support that this problem -- the inability to create favorites in IE under Vista -- results from "integrity control" or some such. Even if you have all the seemingly correct file-level permissions, you still can't modify files/folders if the PROGRAM that you are running has the wrong "integrity" setting.

When IE runs in protected mode, it has "low" integrity, and by default, "low" integrity programs can't modify anything. So IE in protected mode can't modify its own favorites folder! This is incredibly stupid, but here was the solution the HP tech guy gave me:

1. Open an admin command prompt
    2. navigate to the directory containing your favorites folder (C:\Users\username, unless you have moved it)
    3. Execute this command:

icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (oi)(ci)low

You should get a confirmation message saying "processed file: favorites" (and then another line saying something like 1 file processed successfully, 0 files unsuccessfully)

Hope this helps!

------------------------------------------------------
    I can't vouch for this personally but it seems worth a try
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks..seems to be working fine now...JOR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    So IE in protected mode can't modify its own favorites folder!
    That is not true. I run IE in protected mode all the time and have no problems at all managing Favorites.

It may be a combination of things that the iacacls command modifies but it is not just running in protected mode.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    That is not true. I run IE in protected mode all the time and have no problems at all managing Favorites.

It may be a combination of things that the iacacls command modifies but it is not just running in protected mode.

Joe
    Whatever......if it worked for the OP. Great!
    ( that was a direct quote from a person in another forum, so I can't vouch for any of the verbiage )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Whatever......if it worked for the OP. Great!
    ( that was a direct quote from a person in another forum, so I can't vouch for any of the verbiage )
    I understand it was just a quote. But I don't want just any reader to think it will necessarily fix a problem with Favorites. It may end up doing more harm than good if running IE in non-protect mode means more exposure when surfing.

Joe
    Joe