New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know how to ungroup the boxes when working with a decision tree so that the entire tree doesn't reformat each time I move or resize a single box? Thank you!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You might need to help me out with your question - what exactly is your "decision tree"?
    If this is a graphic created with smart art then you may need to live with the behaviour unless you want to break the smart behaviour completely.

This can be done by selecting the individual components within the graphic that you want to remain (click and then shift click each one), copying then pasting special (as Microsoft Office Graphic Object). Once you do this you won't be able to edit the shape anymore so you will want to retain the original somewhere.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll bet that using the native drawing tools to edit decision trees will be a fight to the finish. Decision trees and the like are much easier to manage with software purpose built for the task. IMO, The simplest and best of these is Visio, which became part of the Office product line almost a decade ago, when Microsoft bought its publisher, Visio Corp. I think Office 2000 was the first of the line to include Visio. The entry level version of Visio, called Visio Standard, lists for about $100, and is incredibly easy to use.

When Visio was an independend product, they advertised it as "drag and drop drawing for everyone." They were absolutely right; I have taught many people enough to get started with Visio in under 15 minutes per person, and I was single handedly responsible for getting Visio into several large accounts, not because Visio Corp. paid me, but because my demonstration made such a good impression.

With Visio, once you connect the boxes on your decision tree, you can drag them around, and they stay connected. This feature also means that you can break a link to insert a new decision box without unduly disturbing the rest of the tree.

Even in 1993 or so, when I first saw it, Visio integrated extremely well with Microsoft Word. My first exposure to Visio was at a conference for Visual Basic programmers, in which several of the talks included demonstrations of its use with Word and Excel. You can embed editable Visio drawings in Word documents as easily as you can small Excel worksheets and graphs.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.