New Lounger
    Thanks
    I messed up on this one. I was removing advanced sharing on an external USB hard drive. First I turned off sharing, then I went to the security tab and removed "everyone" which was the only user listed. I got a warning that this would only allow the originator to access the disc. Since I was the originator I clicked okay. Bad move!!! Now I cannot access the disc. I now realize that I should have added "administrator" to the users when I deleated "everyone".

Now for the question. Does anyone know how to restore permissions on this NTFS external USB hard drive so it can be accessed? Since access is denied, I cannot restore permissions with the advanced sharing wizard in WIN 7 Ultimate.

Thanks in advance, Dennis

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this will work but worth a try. I had a similar problem years ago in XP and was because it "remain assigned" in device manager. Seems like if you remove any reference to it then reconnect it might reinstall w/default settings. If you follow the steps below, device manager will show disconnected devices and you can delete the problem child.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

kevin
    --------------------------------------
    ASUS P5Q PRO, Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad CPU, 4GB Corsair RAM, Dual Nvidia 8800GTS Video, Windows 7 64bit

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Edson View Post
    Now for the question. Does anyone know how to restore permissions on this NTFS external USB hard drive so it can be accessed? Since access is denied, I cannot restore permissions with the advanced sharing wizard in WIN 7 Ultimate.
    Treat the device like a folder and see Windows 7 Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Niether of these two suggestions work, but thanks for the response. The right clicked drive properties window does not have security tab in it to get to the tale ownership section. WIN 7 does let you see the dive in device manager, but an unistall and replug in to USB stil does not allow access.

Dennis

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens if you look at the drive using a windows file manager from a LINUX boot disc? I'm thinking you don't need any permissions then and can access the files and copy them off and reformat the drive. There must be an easier way but that should get the job done.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hadn't thought of that; probably a good idea. I use Ultimate Boot CD in dire circumstances. You can get it for free @ http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    --------------------------------------
    ASUS P5Q PRO, Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad CPU, 4GB Corsair RAM, Dual Nvidia 8800GTS Video, Windows 7 64bit