2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My main browser is Windows 2000, and friends have been encouraging me to update to Firefox, so I've been experimenting with it. Loading went fine and it seems to work, but for no apparent reason, my computer no longer plays any sounds. No CDs, no online radio, no sounds from websites. A Google search turned up some information that Firefox affects sound features. Any advice on getting the sound back?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Betsy Frick View Post
    My main browser is Windows 2000, and friends have been encouraging me to update to Firefox, so I've been experimenting with it. Loading went fine and it seems to work, but for no apparent reason, my computer no longer plays any sounds. No CDs, no online radio, no sounds from websites. A Google search turned up some information that Firefox affects sound features. Any advice on getting the sound back?
    Betsy, I've used Firefox from the beginning and have never had any problems with sound. Do you mind telling me the search term you used for that Google, please? While I wait, I think I'll take a peek at the Mozilla Fx forum to see if I can find anything.

Thanks
    While Bigaldoc is checking around a couple of things come to mind:

Do you see a little speaker icon in your lower right taskbar? I found this for you if it's missing:Missing Sound in Windows

Windows 2000

1. Open the Control panel
    2. Open the "Sounds and Multimedia" icon.
    3. Verify the "Show volume control on the taskbar" checkbox is checked. If this option is not available or is grayed out, skip to the next section of this document.
    4. If you were able to check this box, click ok and close out of this window and the Control Panel.
    5. Double-click the sound icon in the Systray and verify that all the sound volumes are mid-way or higher.

If that is ok then continue down to Verify the installed driver settings

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To Big Al --
    About the Google search, I didn't save it, but something like this: Firefox affects sound
    Or, Sound doesn't work in Firefox

To Hey Jude --
    The speaker icon is there in the toolbar, and I've done the settings thing you suggested. Thanks for the suggestion, and it never hurts to go back to the basic steps!

If I can't figure out what the Firefox search tells me to do (out of millions of hits, which do you choose!), I'll reload the drivers. With a system as old as mine (Windows 2000), I hate to mess with drivers and suchlike.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mysterious loss of sound solved! At least for the time being. Whether Firefox caused the problem or not, the sound is working again. By updating my Windows Media Player 7.0 to WMP 9, the most recent version that works with Windows 2000, the sound has returned. I found the download (free) on the Microsoft website.

Cheers, and I'll be back for your help with the next problem that I can't solve on my own.
    Betsy