New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have written, using Access 2003 and VB6, an application which, in a number of forms, uses a Treeview control as an index to the persons in the database. Only about 3000 of them. In four of the forms it works perfectly. In one it gives a non-standard response to the first click on any node, no matter which. It expands the first node with any children. After the first use after loading the form it performs perfectly.

I have deleted the control and copied it, and its attendant code, from other forms which work properly but have not cured this behaviour. I have deleted it and installed a new instance. Still no good.

Has anyone any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I haven't worked with the Microsoft Treeview for some time - I presume that is the control you are using. When these sort of things happen with a specific form misbehaves it sometimes becomes necessary to rebuild the form from scratch. Since you have tried other strategies, it is possible that there is rogue code somewhere on the form that is causing the initial behavior you see. If someone else has another suggestion try theirs first, as rebuilding a form from scratch isn't much fun.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You are so right. This is an extraordinarily complex form. If I were to write it again it would probably be quite different.

Fortunately the users haven't noticed this behaviour. They think they have clicked in the wrong place, and try again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, we have adopted the Treeview control from DBI Technologies as the Microsoft version gets pretty slow once you get to a thousand or more nodes. The DBI version will handle up to 100K nodes very nicely, and we routinely use in in applications with several thousand nodes. If you do decide to rebuild that form, you might look at alternatives - there are others available as well.
    Wendell