New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been having a battle with local MS about people who want to upgrade Win 7 to a larger HDD.

Here's the situation:

Installed 32bit Home premium (OEM) on a smallish IDE HDD as dual boot with XP. Decided I liked it and brought a 1TB SATA HDD,

Cloned my Win7 IDE DIsk to a 400GB partition on the SATA drive using Acronis Vrs 11. Result - a light blue screen with a small message lower right "This copy of Windows is non-Genuine". No opportunity to re-activate or enter the product ID. Tried 2 other cloning programs (both advertising Win7 compatability) - same result.

The local MS people say that it is not due to the OEM version - and they are still trying to get an answer from 'the powers that be'.

This is a major drawback to Win 7 if it's designed that way - cloning was always a possibility with XP and Activation should avoid installations on multiple systems.

Any Ideas - all the best for 2010! JohnS in hot Dry Canberra

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Make and model of this machine?

Some OEM's have been known to imbed information on their drives, so one must go to them for a replacment or upgrade to a large drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dave...

This is a home built clone (I'm the OEM :-).

Of course all the HDDs (Seagate) have their unique hardware ID numbers.

Cheers - JohnS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought regarding cloning of drives and building from scratch, which I also like to do. I had run the Win-7 RC since May and was very happy. When the official release came out I bought an upgrade and did the process.....it didn't work. So, I ordered a full OEM version from Newegg and did a fresh clean install. All has been well. Generally it has been my observation that cloning is good if you have valuable data and inadequate backups and just get to 'get the stuff out'. For the long haul I always perfer the fresh, clean install with none of the old skeletons coming out of the closet.

Finally, I noticed there were significant differences between the Win-7 RC and the RTM. Some items that worked well with the RC did not with the RTM without some significant changes. One such item were my printer drivers as needed to work with my server. I ended up having to get VISTA DRIVERS!!! Blew me away!

Anyway, just thought I'd through this out. Good Luck!

--Bob Harris
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"