Thanks
    Does anyone know how good EE, from Robin Hood Software, really is?

Judging from their own trumpet-blowing I would have expected it to have been mentioned in various lists of recommended software, but I never have.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't speak to the product you mention, but when I want to do something on the web and leave no traces (nothing illegal or immoral, mind you), I do so in a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation that support snapshots (I don't think Virtual PC 2007 does). Not only is it handy for many other uses, but you simply take a snapshot of the current state, do your business, then roll back the snapshot. It's like nothing ever happened. And the files that may hit your hard drive, including the registry, during the session are done so in the larger file that comprises the virtual machine -- they never hit your regular file system. Not sure if this method would elude a forensic analysis, but it would definitely circumvent most discovery attempts.

Thanks
    Thank you Reid.

I had thought of Virtual Box too. I did have it a while ago but didn't get round to reinstalling after my last OS clean installation.

Although that would achieve a similar result, I would like, nevertheless, to have the facility which Evidence Eliminator provides.
    Since my first post I saw reference on another forum to East-Tec Eraser which looks similar. Their web site displays some reviews and testimonials, whereas Evidence Eliminator's doesn't.

I am trying their time limited download.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Kell View Post
    I can't speak to the product you mention, but when I want to do something on the web and leave no traces (nothing illegal or immoral, mind you), I do so in a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation that support snapshots (I don't think Virtual PC 2007 does). Not only is it handy for many other uses, but you simply take a snapshot of the current state, do your business, then roll back the snapshot. It's like nothing ever happened. And the files that may hit your hard drive, including the registry, during the session are done so in the larger file that comprises the virtual machine -- they never hit your regular file system. Not sure if this method would elude a forensic analysis, but it would definitely circumvent most discovery attempts.
    While a Virtual Machine would probably keep most of your data safe you do still have to perform the normal precautions. Obviously enough if your data is seen by a computer outside of your own such as some proxy's and phishing sites resetting back to an earlier image won't protect you. As for me I usually just stick to the normal methods like Upping my Security to the highest level and doing a thorough scan before doing anything sensitive. If you want even more security you could check out PortableApps.com and get firefox portable then I believe Piroforms CCleaner has a portable version as well (on their site).

The Portable Apps from PortableApps.com to my understanding save the settings like normal to the registry but then move them to a special folder when you exit the program and delete any data saved to the computer otherwise. To be extra safe you can use CCleaner or in a portable situation CCleaner Portable to clean up the registry, recycling bin, and temporary files. Something to keep in mind with any data erasure software though is that NTFS has been known to prevent complete erasure because of the way it stores data (something about it's table keeping snippets of data).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Even easier - boot from a linux Live CD - do whatever - restart to Windows - nothing ever happened on your hard disk.