New Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought a new computer loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium and it is the 64 bit version. Now I have a multifunction printer (color, scanner) that will not install along with 2 regular laser printers that will not install. Is there any way to make them work without paying for Windows7 Premium or Ultimate?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, go to your printer's website and check (in the slight chance) that drivers are available for Windows 7----even Windows Vista (these might work).
    My father-in-law had the same problem---2 printers; a Multi-function and an old Compaq (Lexmark) IJ600. The drivers for Vista nor Win 7 were not available.
    In the absence of that, consider a newer, albeit cheaper printer that supports Win 7. You can print on your old PC, while you decide/investigate. Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this with an old Brother MFC. on Win7HP64

I obtained the latest install/setup download from the Brother website and ran it in compat mode (XPSP2) and all is well. :-)

Thanks
    Same thing with an HP 960. Ran full featured on XP, but limited on Vista. HP did not write drivers for Vista. I did not try with Win 7. Got a new wireless printer from Canon. The HP would still work with limited capabilities. Just basic printing. Sorry for the bad news.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schiess View Post
    ....Is there any way to make them work without paying for Windows7 Premium or Ultimate?
    Buying another version of Win7 is unlikely to make any difference. The issue is "planned obsolescence" - which happens with all printer manufacturers. Updated drivers seem unlikely to become available.
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This article at PCMag.com has some ideas. It is the final page of a longer multi-page story on Win 7 in general.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356158,00.asp
    "Windows 7 Printer Installation Tips, subtitled: Getting your printer or MFP to run in Windows 7 will be easy if your printer is new, but older models may require troubleshooting. Here's our expert advice."

I also am not yet out of the woods with an HP 1015 on my wife's PC, because it works but performance is dreadful under Win 7. I eventually managed to get an HP1022 working properly on my Win 7 64 bit system.

Planned obsolescence ... I know, but i still have three unused laser ink refills for these two printers, so we are not about to change yet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hutton-Squire View Post
    I also am not yet out of the woods with an HP 1015 on my wife's PC, because it works but performance is dreadful under Win 7.
    Unless you can get a driver from HP you'll probably have to live with it. The drivers that are supplied with Win7 are very basic - no advanced functionality and no perofrmance tuning.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Wagner View Post
    The issue is "planned obsolescence" - which happens with all printer manufacturers. Updated drivers seem unlikely to become available.

I do not think printer manufacturers want you to use a printer for more than 2 or 3 years. After all they have to continue to make a buck. Same with software manufacturers. Some of the AV people seem to release a new version each year. "Much Better", you gotta have it!, but do they help their existing customers, noooooo!!!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The official word on legacy drivers:

Configure Legacy Devices to Run on Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/m.../ee851685.aspx