Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just installed Windows 7. It is s dual boot situation with XP. This morning the first thing I did after it had booted was try to open Firefox. I got a message that Firefox was already running and I needed to close it. It was not running as I had just booted into Windows 7. I looked at the task manager and there were no applications listed. When I rebooted CHKDSK ran. Why would CHKDSK need to run? What caused the error message regarding Firefox?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is more than a Firefox issue. I checked the event viewer and it is full of error messages. In the system log there are very many where the source is ntfs. the event id is 55 and the task category is(2).
    In the details box the message is "the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility. This is a brand new hard drive. Windows XP is on another partition and is running perfectly, What is the problem with Windows 7?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried to run chkdsk /r?

It can fix a great many things.
    Im not sure why it would be an issue this quickly but it would be best to
    get it sorted out now.

Chances are that once it runs it wont be a problem again.

It may be something like a security descriptor that it thinks is wrong.
    It doesnt necessarily mean that your data is scrambled.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It runs chkdsk almost every time Windows 7 starts. I don't know about the chkdsk/r. Why would the system run chkdsk and not repair it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure you run chkdsk /R with a space before the /R. Windows does not run the repair option automatically. It only reports the errors but doesn't correct them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran Windows 7 version of chkdsk /r I think. I checked "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". It seems to have worked because so far everything is running smoothly.
    I know chkdsk creates a log, but I don't know where to look for it. I would like to see what it says.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen47 View Post
    This is more than a Firefox issue. I checked the event viewer and it is full of error messages. In the system log there are very many where the source is ntfs. the event id is 55 and the task category is(2).
    In the details box the message is "the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility. This is a brand new hard drive. Windows XP is on another partition and is running perfectly, What is the problem with Windows 7?
    There are improvements in the NTFS file system incorporated into Windows 7, and it's a little more picky than the NTFS in XP. I'm dual booting XP and 7 on a desktop and a laptop. Both needed chkdsk /r run under Wiindows 7 on all drives before it was satisfied and settled down. It rewrote gobs of security descriptors and a few other repairs, but I've had no further issues since.

Evidently the repairs made by Windows 7 are transparent to XP. When I boot the XP side there are no issues there, either.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran Windows 7 version of chkdsk /r I think. I checked "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". It seems to have worked because so far everything is running smoothly.
    I know chkdsk creates a log, but I don't know where to look for it. I would like to see what it says.
    I performed a clean install of Windows 7 a few days ago and experienced the same NTFS corrupt issue. I used the same error correction routine you used (twice) and the problem was not there this morning on boot-up. Just checked the Event Viewer and found another occurrence timed 35 minutes after the initial morning boot.

This time I will use the command process with the chkdsk /r to see if the issue disappears.

Regarding your request for the chkdsk log... go to the Event Viewer | Windows Logs | Application and look for Wininit. Clicking on that entry will display the log.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read the log and the thing that stood out was this statement " Windows has checked the file system and found no problems." yet everything is running smoothly now. Did just running chkdsk /r fix the problem even though windows found no problems?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read the log and the thing that stood out was this statement " Windows has checked the file system and found no problems." yet everything is running smoothly now. Did just running chkdsk /r fix the problem even though windows found no problems?
    Did further research after my last 55 error and found a link that suggested changing the power options resolved the issue. I went to Control Panel | Power Options and selected the High Performance setting electing to use all the defaults. Haven't had a 55 error since the last reported one yesterday at 11:47 AM. Knock on wood the system will remain stable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a lot of 55 errors too. I will try your suggestion for power settings.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Corel Paint Shop Pro and then tried to install an update. I got a message about not having the program installed or the wrong version for the up date or the wrong version of the update. I rebooted and looked at event viewer and there were about a 1000 55 errors . the next two time I rebooted Chkdsk /r ran. I havent checked it this afternoon yet to see what happens now.
    The Corel website says Paint Shop pro is compatible with Windows 7. Soo why the errors and chkdsk run?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Corel Paint Shop Pro and then tried to install an update. I got a message about not having the program installed or the wrong version for the up date or the wrong version of the update. I rebooted and looked at event viewer and there were about a 1000 55 errors . the next two time I rebooted Chkdsk /r ran. I havent checked it this afternoon yet to see what happens now.
    The Corel website says Paint Shop pro is compatible with Windows 7. Soo why the errors and chkdsk run?
    There are several versions of Corel Paint Shop Pro. The current one I have installed is PSP X2 and it installed fine. Which version are you trying to install?

I have found that sometimes turning off your AV scanner for the installation of some software is required. For example, installing my nVidia software/drivers requires me to turn off NOD32 for the install process.

In some other cases, right clicking on the install packet and selecting Run as Administrator helps.

Regarding the 1000 type 55 errors... was this before or after changing the power options?. My type 55 errors have not resurfaced since changing the power options.

Over to you...
    Regards,
    Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed version X2 also. It seemed to install fine but a message popped up that there was an update for X2. i tried downloading it from the message, as there was a link but nothing happened. I went to the Corel site and downloaded what I assumed, dumb on my part, assuming, was the same update. It was after trying to install this update that I got all the errors. I had changed the power options prior to this.
    I just booted Windows 7 and event viewer said I already had 20 errors they are 455, 488, 1006, 7042.7040, 9000, 3030, and 8211 errors. Just what exactly is going on here?
    Also I just got a message form Action Center that Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender both report that they are turned off. I am unable to start them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed version X2 also. It seemed to install fine but a message popped up that there was an update for X2. i tried downloading it from the message, as there was a link but nothing happened. I went to the Corel site and downloaded what I assumed, dumb on my part, assuming, was the same update. It was after trying to install this update that I got all the errors. I had changed the power options prior to this.
    I just booted Windows 7 and event viewer said I already had 20 errors they are 455, 488, 1006, 7042.7040, 9000, 3030, and 8211 errors. Just what exactly is going on here?
    Also I just got a message form Action Center that Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender both report that they are turned off. I am unable to start them.
    Sure looks like a mess. About the only think I can suggest at this stage (other than a complete, clean install of W7) is to try:
    1. Uninstall PSP completely...
    2. Run another chkdsk /r...
    3. Perform a Repair install of W7

Assuming that you haven't turned off MSE and Defender then something is amiss in that area. Perhaps Malware? In which case use you favourite scanner to detect any nasty beasts.

Insofar as those other errors are concerned, you did not provide any descriptors and so I can't shed any light without knowing more specifics.

Back to you...
    Regards,
    Bob

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast