New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a XP home machine that for some reason has created its self a new user account (twice now).

The problem first came to light when the user noticed that he didnt have all the icons on his desktop that was expected. it turned out that he was loging into a new user account with the same user name. The old user account was still there and visible in windows explorer but not available from the logon screen. (no one who has access to the machine has done this manually). In the end I transfered all his stuff from the old account to the new one and all seemed to be good with the world. But now it has happened again?

The only updates installed have been the standard windows updates and no new software has been installed on the machine.

Has anyone seen this odd behaviour before?

Cheers

Thanks
    Quite common - it is probably because Windows has created a new profile. Look in Documents and Settings for names lil
    username
    or
    usename.pcname
    or
    username.Windows

It's very common on domains when you log in locally to the PC and also to the domain. for the latter you end up with:
    username.domainname

Yes, it's a right pain!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems like something you migrated from the old profile is being rejected in the new one.

I've seen this problem arising on reinstalls when an attempt has been to migrate all existing settings from the previous installation.

HTH
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had it happen a couple of times in ten years so I don't know if its too common, but I also noticed right away that a new profile was loaded. It wasn't damaged or anything, it just failed to find the established profile during bootup. In both cases a reboot fixed the problem, but of course that was right away and without making any changes or taking any action that might make the new profile have some persistence.

If a new profile is created because the normal one is damaged in some way or the loading procedure has a glitch then its more likely to happen again.