4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I first tried to install SP2, it failed with an error code 8007371C. I found a posting on MS Technet about using the System Update Readiness Tool and the full standalone package of SP2 after that. Followed the posting exactly, but even after that the installation failed saying "The SMI primitive installer failed during setup or servicing." This is a Sony laptop, running Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

No one on Technet has come forward with any suggestions. Help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    When I first tried to install SP2, it failed with an error code 8007371C. I found a posting on MS Technet about using the System Update Readiness Tool and the full standalone package of SP2 after that. Followed the posting exactly, but even after that the installation failed saying "The SMI primitive installer failed during setup or servicing." This is a Sony laptop, running Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

No one on Technet has come forward with any suggestions. Help!
    Can you post the Technet link? We don't want to ask the same questions or propose the same steps as Technet.

Also, you can get free installation support for Vista SP-2 until Feb. 26, 2010 from Microsoft. See Help and Support.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If all else fails JJDetroit, re-install Vista. You may have a corrupted installation of Vista and it needs to be repaired by re-installing Vista on top of Vista:

read here:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-acf88d70e4f3

after re-installing Vista with the Vista CD that came with your Sony laptop, install full SP1 pack then install full SP2 pack. done.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel R. Piring View Post
    If all else fails JJDetroit, re-install Vista. You may have a corrupted installation of Vista and it needs to be repaired by re-installing Vista on top of Vista:

read here:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-acf88d70e4f3

after re-installing Vista with the Vista CD that came with your Sony laptop, install full SP1 pack then install full SP2 pack. done.
    Microsoft provided me with a Vista CD which had SP2 included, and that let me do a Repair Install.