New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having exactly the same problem (random apps all of a sudden decide to stop responding) - as described in this thread - on a Gateway DX6200-11 (AMD processor) with 6GB of RAM. I upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium 64 from Vista Pro 64. The problem started soon after the upgrade. I don't recall it ever happening before in almost a year of use. Now it happens pretty much every day, but not every day. I know that I could try doing a clean install of Win 7, but since other people seem to be having the same problem after having done clean installs, I am not too inclined to go through that brain damage unless there is a high probability that it will solve the problem.

This is a very difficult problem to troubleshoot because of the random nature of it. I have not been able to determine anything that triggers it, and since it generally lasts less than a minute (often only 10-15 seconds), there isn't much time to look around and see what is going on while the apps aren't responding. I have determined that processor utilization is very low (< 5%) on all 4 cores. I'm now set up to check disk and network activity the next time it happens. I'll report back what I find.

BTW, I have visited some other forums where people seem to be having the same problem, so I also believe that this problem could be fairly widespread.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is some more info on the problem.

It happened to me several times last night. One time, Windows Explorer froze so I couldn't switch to the Resource Monitor or Task Manager to see what was happening. Otherwise when it happened, sometimes there was a high level of disk and network activity, and other times there was almost none, so it doesn't appear to be a resource contention issue, at least not processor, disk, or network.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I might monitor to try to figure out what is happening?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    It happened to me several times last night. One time, Windows Explorer froze so I couldn't switch to the Resource Monitor or Task Manager to see what was happening. Otherwise when it happened, sometimes there was a high level of disk and network activity, and other times there was almost none, so it doesn't appear to be a resource contention issue, at least not processor, disk, or network.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I might monitor to try to figure out what is happening?
    I've seen some comments that IPv6 can cause some wierd issues. If you want to disable it see How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How much empty disk space and have you been tweaking the swap file?

What other tweaking have you been doin?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    One of the first troubleshooting steps I'd use is checking Task Scheduler and disabling all tasks there (or at least check the last run times against the non-responsive Apps occurrences).

What size HDD do you have as there maybe some issues with 7 and drives of 1TB and larger.

EDIT: Welcome to the Lounge Scott

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know how relevant it is but I downloaded and installed the Windows updates yesterday. Afterwards, I lost one of my screen gadgets (CPU monitor) and could not open the Gadgets menu by right-clicking on the desktop. Took a look at the downloaded files and decided to try uninstalling them until the problem resolved. First one I uninstalled was Silverlight, which I gather Woody thinks is pretty useless anyway. Problem solved, and the missing gadget showed up again. Wonder how many other problems it might have caused, that I hadn't run across yet?