New Lounger
    Thanks
    When programs are being removed, even when done using the control panel "Add/Remove Program" function , some registry entries are usually left behind by even the best written programs, and definitely by the sloppy cousins. This is quite often true even aftger registry cleaners such as JV16 are used. To resolve this issue I have developed a habit of doing the following.

1 remove program using the control panel
    2 run registry cleaner such as JV16
    3 run JV16 "registry Finder" with the software name or manufacturer shown
    4 delete all entgries found in step 3

The first time I did this, it was amazing how many entries showed u p. I did cross my fingers when I pressed the delete button, but no bad consequences then or in all the times I have done it since. Just as an example, when I deleted Roxio using the above procedure, there were over 100 entries in step 3. THERE IS ONE CAVEAT. If you are deleting only one of a family of programs, steps 3 and 4 should not be taken. In a family of programs such as Norton or others, there can be entries that may affect more than the program you deleted, and removal of those keys can prevent the remainig programs from working properly.

This procedure has worked in Windows XP Professional, Vista and now Windows 7
    Peter Emch

Thanks
    You can also use Revouninstaller free version which goes the extra "mile" in removing the files embedded in the registry. I have relied upon this for any add/remove program.

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Thanks
    I'd be interested to know what the problem is in leaving out-of-date/unused entries in the registry. They won't be used again, and simply occupy a small amount of disk space. The only problem might be if a new program's installer requires all traces of a previous program to be removed - and I've only heard of this happening for antivirus programs.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounger
    Thanks
    They can cause unexpected popups or the infamous "Cannot find..." message. Nero, Roxio, Identity Guard, and AOL are four that are good for leaving a bazilllion files and registry entries behind and cause reinstall problems (I'm sure there's more). Revo and CCleaner do a much better job of deletions. Of course I'm one of those users who love to try out new software, so I'm deleting 2-5 programs a week if they're not better than what I currently have or don't run correctly with Windows 7. I usually recover 3-6GB of disk space a week. Lean and mean, baby, lean and mean!

BTW: if you think you got all the registry entries with 'regedit', try this one: Registrar Registry Manager. You'll be surprised how many were missed!

Thanks
    I have to second HeyJude. Revo Uninstaller free edition was a godsend when I found it. I also try lots of software on my main PC, most of which I do not keep. I have never found a problem when using Revo in the advanced removal mode. I have even gone through the manual removal using Regedit a couple times. Never found an entry than Revo had missed, so I do not do this manual removal any more. Takes too much time. Thank you Revo. I even put Revo mobile on a flash drive to use when looking at another PC that does not have Revo installed. Great product. Check it out here: http://www.brothersoft.com/revo-unin...le-249595.html
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stanton View Post
    Registry Cleaners, Defraggers, uninstallers, etc, etc discussions will go on and on as long as there are forums to discuss them in.
    If you don't like them....don't use them. If you like them...use them. Simple.
    Meanwhile, just skip the thread and go on to something that interests you. [attachment=87635:flee.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stanton View Post
    Not again...

I guess it came back up because it's still on people's minds and it seems to be one of those "You really like them" or "You really think they are a waste of time". I believe that any program which may help me keep junk off my PC or keep orphans weeded out is helpful. Perhaps CCCleaner will not speed up my system, it does finish the IE cleanup that IE leaves behind after a deletion (There are always a few files), and it does keep orphans out of my registry. Even though it may not speed things up, it may prevent a situation in the future where an orphan conflicts with something I'm trying to do. I use Revo Uninstaller and CC Cleaner on a regular basis (once per week)and after I decide to throw out a program I tried and decided not to keep, and to date I have not had a single problem. I even use both of the respective programs in mobile form on a flash drive and have cleaned many other PCs without a SINGLE problem. I believe these oft maligned programs have benefit, not speeding things up, but cleaning things up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Meanwhile, just skip the thread and go on to something that interests you. [attachment=87635:flee.gif]
    Personally, I don't use them. That said, I recognize that there are systems out there that sometimes benefit from their use. In my experience, these are generally systems that have never had any maintenance, or have experienced failed installs.

What amazes me is the number of people who use these 3rd party registry programs without so much as a clue about what the registry is or how it works...it really amazes me. You'd think that they would buy a book on the subject and read up on it before deciding wether or not they wanted to use one. Until someone provides data (not personal experiences and opinion etc) that contradicts what the books tell me, I won't be using them. Regular maintenance, Regedit and the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is all I need. I run a old P4, 2.6Mhz, with 4G of RAM, I've reinstalled Windows once since I've bought it, and it runs better now than it did the day I bought it.

Your right, time to move on to something that interests me.
    Mike

Thanks
    JFYI

One of the most valuable programs I own is the "Norton Removal Tool".

A few years ago, it consisted of three files. One was a batch file to de-activate the Norton .dll files. A second one actually removed the program, and a third was a registry script that removed 1891 registry entries. WOW! Does any program really need that many entries in the registry?

The new and improved version of the "Norton Removal Tool" is just one file. I just don't trust it, to remove all the unwanted registry entries, so I still use the old registry script.

Some time back, I tried a trial version of MS Office 2007. I didn't like it and uninstalled it. Then I cleaned my registry with "Easy Cleaner 2" and it removed almost 30 megs of registry entries, left behind by Office 2007. Again...... WOW! That reduced the overall size of my registry by 1/3. Since the registry is one of the OS files that must load into RAM on boot, that gives me back 30 megs of ram to use elsewhere. It also speeds up the boot process.

All registry cleaners are NOT created equal, however. I've heard so many users raving about CCleaner, but on the two occasions that I've tried it, it's screwed up my PC so bad that I had to use a Ghost Image restore to put things right again. Thank God, I make at least one Ghost backup every week.

I continue to use "Easy Cleaner 2" on all my 32 bit OS's with never a problem.

Cheers Mates! The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This thread is a repeat of the discussion in Windows Registry Utilities? Any Good?, and has been locked. If you wish to continue the discussion, please post there.
    Gre