2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got a small VBA application in a Word template. All it does is take a large document and create lots of smaller documents, based on some static search criteria. In Word 2002, it flys. When run in Word 2007, the performance is around 6 times slower. There's not much speed difference if Word's output goes to the local drive or to the network. I've built in output to a text file so that I can see the times for each Word operation. There is no apparent bottleneck. Word 2007 is running on XP Pro, and Word 2000 is running on Windows 2000 - our Systems people say Word 2007 and Windows 2000 are not compatible. The PC configuration/specs are identical.

Word 2007 is running in compatibility mode since I'm using a .dot and saving .doc's. The saves are pretty fast. It just seems that code execution is just a lot slower.

Is Word 2007 that much slower?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m82a1pa View Post
    Word 2007 is running in compatibility mode
    This may explain the performance hit.
    This eco-post is made of recycled electrons

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just created a .dotm from the .dot template. I changed the code to write/read .dotx documents. Processing time originally was 3 minutes and 22 seconds. And exactly the same after moving to the new formats. I had been curious about any speed differences between old and new, in any case.

With the original .dot template (of course), total processing time using Word 2002 is 32 seconds.

Updated: I disabled the Word 2007 Acrobat PDFMaker COM addin and the times improved dramatically. The times are now pretty much the same on both platforms.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That isn't surprising. In order to get Adobe to go along with allowing Microsoft to include the PDF maker, they probably had to agree to cripple it in some way, to discourage people from using it. In any case, I won't be using it when I upgrade to Word 2007 in the next few days, because DeskPDF does everything I need, including preservation of embedded hyperlinks, without being intrusive. What's more, DeskPDF works with everything.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.