New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on a home network with 3 Win 7 machines ( 1 - Pro, 1 -HP, 1 - Ult) and an HP Media Server. Total storage accross the network is about 8TB and the computers are connected with an GB switch.

When I go to add a new folder from the time I click "Folder of New|Folder till the folder shows up is about 30 seconds and during this time the title bar displays the "Not Responding" message. After I paste in the new folder name and hit Enter until I am returned control of the Explorer window is about 1 min 30 sec.

I have tested using alternative Explores i.e. Cubic Explorer and the problem is the same.

Never had this problem before upgrading to Win 7.

Help!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that is a bug in both Vista and Win7 File Explorer. At least I have noticed it through all the betas and it still occurs occasionally in Win7. What I think is happening, is that when the system is busy for some unknown reason it does that (not responding) thing after a short period of time. It always changes back to normal and completes the operation on my pc so I have determined or decided that it is not a major issue although annoying at times. There are still some issues with file explorer that haven't been fixed obviously.
    --------------------------------------
    ASUS P5Q PRO, Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad CPU, 4GB Corsair RAM, Dual Nvidia 8800GTS Video, Windows 7 64bit

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bechthold View Post
    I'm on a home network with 3 Win 7 machines ( 1 - Pro, 1 -HP, 1 - Ult) and an HP Media Server. Total storage accross the network is about 8TB and the computers are connected with an GB switch.

When I go to add a new folder from the time I click "Folder of New|Folder till the folder shows up is about 30 seconds and during this time the title bar displays the "Not Responding" message. After I paste in the new folder name and hit Enter until I am returned control of the Explorer window is about 1 min 30 sec.
    Is the new folder local to a machine or on the Home Server?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tested using alternative Explores i.e. Cubic Explorer and the problem is the same.

Never had this problem before upgrading to Win 7.

Help!
    I think I may be familiar with this issue. If you changed the name of the folder then pressed enter twice (to save the name of the folder then open the folder) then if will try to open the folder "New Folder" but fail because the folder was renamed. If this is the issue then you just need to wait a second between presses of the Enter Key.

If the issue is just that it's slow then you may need to defragment or possibly run a cleanup program like CCleaner or Advanced System Care. Or if you're willing to pay for performance you may consider TuneUp Utilities which includes tons of performance and fix tools as well as some really nice customizes. (I just wish I could afford a copy for myself)

Either way it sounds like a defrag and cleanup would do your computer some good. If that doesn't work, then try a antivirus scan, I'd recommend Malwarebyte's or Avast. If the problem persist after that then I'd suggest system file check (not sure where the shortcut is but, I know Advanced System Care has a link-note the disk for the particular version of Windows you installed with be necessary.)

That's the best I can suggest, I've honestly never tried a GB Switch so if the problem's specific to compatibility I couldn't say.
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Often Windows Explorer problems are because of shell addins. See ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows for a tool to let you manage the shell extensions.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Clarify: Most of the time the new folder is on my machine but I see the same delays on local and network drives. I don't think I have been double clicking because the first step I dont have anything to click on for 30 seconds and my habit when renaming is to end a "rename" with an Enter.

I do use several shell extensions because I find them valuable particularly the WinRar extensions. What extensions might be problematic?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I do use several shell extensions because I find them valuable particularly the WinRar extensions. What extensions might be problematic?
    Almost any shell extension can be problematic. You need to make sure you have a version that the author says is compatible with Windows 7. To see if the shell extensions are the issue you can use ShellEx to disable extensions. Perform a binary search where you disable half and see if the problem still exists. Then narrow it down based on the results.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This delay may be the two protection systems on both machine making sure that the permissions are there to do what you are trying to do.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.