Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've notified our EC2 consultants about the problem. I'll report back what I hear from them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johnston View Post
    I've notified our EC2 consultants about the problem. I'll report back what I hear from them.
    I got it again yesterday afternoon and it persisted for about 15 minutes. Then all was "normal" again.

Hey Jude
    Take a sad song and make it better

Brian Livingston
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    surely someone had their eye on the ball?
    The Jan. 7, 2010, issue of the Windows Secrets Newsletter was the first one that included links to the Lounge on the same day to all of our 400,000 subscribers. Before publishing such links to everyone simultaneously, we waited until our network contractor, LTech.com, had given us a virtual server cluster at Amazon Web Services, which went live on Dec. 22, 2009. Please see http://bro.ws/770054L .

The Lounge hit a new all-time high of 1,755 users online at the same time on Jan. 8. The old Lounge server, which Windows Secrets moved the Lounge away from on Jan. 2, 2009, would have keeled over with fewer than 1/10 that many users. As you know, the server the Lounge used in 2008 and earlier routinely crashed when no Admin was available, and it had to be rebooted the next morning. The old Lounge had outages that stretched from hours to days to weeks.

Our new server cluster is far better but not infinite. It looks like members who were signing in received "error 503" screens for about 20 to 30 minutes at the peak on Jan. 8. We'll probably have to configure AWS to scale up to additional servers more quickly. On Jan. 8, the CPU utilization of the server cluster never exceeded 40%, according to logs by RightScale, which provides us with monitoring. But there must be some other limiting factor that should, in the future, cause additional servers to spin up — simultaneous Apache connections, for example.

The Lounge Admins are primarily in the office 9 to 5 Monday through Friday, are responsible for developing the network layer, and don't watch the board every minute. Staring at a screen for trouble and trying to somehow react to it in real time is not as desirable as designing a scalable infrastructure that simply works. Our priority is to engineer the on-demand architecture so the Lounge is always accessible, regardless of the amount of traffic that's experienced during peaks.

My apologies to anyone who was inconvenienced during the period when the maximum number of users was reached. Having 1,755 simultaneous users is a lot, but the Lounge will attract many times that number before the year is out. The right scaling methodology will be important, so Lounge performance is good no matter the load. Thanks for reporting this, and we'll try to prevent even 20-minute glitches from now on.

Platinum Lounger
    Hornsby Heights, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    The old Lounge had outages that stretched from hours to days to weeks.
    That would be because no-one ever injected any money into it and we VOLUNTEERS scrambled like mad to find a viable resolution to the problem, alas, I don't remember that it ever went on for weeks, but, I could be wrong.
    The Lounge Admins are primarily in the office 9 to 5 Monday through Friday...
    The lounge admins between 1995 and the WS takeover didn't have office hours, the lounge was monitored by VOLUNTEERS 24/7/365. Pests were banned, inappropriate posts were removed by any mods online in any forum, whether they were moderators for that forum or not, moderators, WMVPs and admins used to to get email notifications on any posts in any forums they subscribed to, without having to subscribe to individual topics, because that's the way the software Eileen, Ian and I designed.
    would have keeled over with fewer than 1/10 that many users.
    I am getting really fed up with the constant references to lounge crashes in the past, considering that we had no financial assistance. We've even had an admin hosting the site in his private room next to a fishtank to keep the lounge going, for heavens sake!

So, just for a change, how about offering a sense of appreciation and a word of thanks to all the VOLUNTEER WMVPs, the VOLUNTEER Moderators, the VOLUNTEER Admins that made this lounge a commercially viable, and thus sellable, proposition over the last nearly fifteen years and at the very, very least offer all of them a free paid subscription to WS newsletter which doesn't cost you a cent Brian, I'm talking MVPs, Ex and Current Moderators, Ex and current Admins and I could include a few super-helpful contributors to the lounge...

Showing a tiny bit of appreciation for deeds done in the past has never hurt anyone, has it.

As for me, this is (And yes Brian, rejoice), this is my last ever post and visit to the lounge.

Goodbye all, nice having known you all these years, thanks for all your support, assistance and comradeship.

Be safe out there.

P.S., ignore my broken signature, I've got no idea how it got there, but I suspect that one of the 30 paid admins edited my profile...... At least they got paid for it...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    That would be because no-one ever injected any money into it and we VOLUNTEERS scrambled like mad to find a viable resolution to the problem, alas, I don't remember that it ever went on for weeks, but, I could be wrong.
    The lounge admins between 1995 and the WS takeover didn't have office hours, the lounge was monitored by VOLUNTEERS 24/7/365. Pests were banned, inappropriate posts were removed by any mods online in any forum, whether they were moderators for that forum or not, moderators, WMVPs and admins used to to get email notifications on any posts in any forums they subscribed to, without having to subscribe to individual topics, because that's the way the software Eileen, Ian and I designed.
    I am getting really fed up with the constant references to lounge crashes in the past, considering that we had no financial assistance. We've even had an admin hosting the site in his private room next to a fishtank to keep the lounge going, for heavens sake!

So, just for a change, how about offering a sense of appreciation and a word of thanks to all the VOLUNTEER WMVPs, the VOLUNTEER Moderators, the VOLUNTEER Admins that made this lounge a commercially viable, and thus sellable, proposition over the last nearly fifteen years and at the very, very least offer all of them a free paid subscription to WS newsletter which doesn't cost you a cent Brian, I'm talking MVPs, Ex and Current Moderators, Ex and current Admins and I could include a few super-helpful contributors to the lounge...

Showing a tiny bit of appreciation for deeds done in the past has never hurt anyone, has it.

As for me, this is (And yes Brian, rejoice), this is my last ever post and visit to the lounge.

Goodbye all, nice having known you all these years, thanks for all your support, assistance and comradeship.

Be safe out there.

P.S., ignore my broken signature, I've got no idea how it got there, but I suspect that one of the 30 paid admins edited my profile...... At least they got paid for it...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Be safe out there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Be safe out there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Be safe out there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Be safe out there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Be safe out there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Be safe out there.

Brian Livingston
    Claude, please remain calm. I said that the old server, pre-2009, was underpowered. No one said or implied that you were a bad server administrator. No volunteer could have done anything about the cheap servers the Lounge used, hosting many other Web sites simultaneously. I have nothing but appreciation for all of the badgeholders, who still help people 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    ... at the very, very least offer all of them a free paid subscription to WS newsletter which doesn't cost you a cent Brian, I'm talking MVPs, Ex and Current Moderators, Ex and current Admins and I could include a few super-helpful contributors to the lounge...
    All members of the Lounge, not just badgeholders, were sent an invitation in November at their registered e-mail addresses to receive the paid version of the Windows Secrets Newsletter free of charge for six months. All Mods, VIPs, etc., are receiving the paid version at no charge indefinitely. We have other treats planned as soon as we can organize them. Stay tuned.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    More 503 server errors today 17:28 UK time. 101 active in the lounge (me and 100 guests) when I got in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNath View Post
    More 503 server errors today 17:28 UK time.
    Same for me, about a 10-15 minute outage,

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And same for me, after not having any previous problems. I was composing a post at about 17:20 UTM, hit the Preview button, and kablooie, the Lounge was gone. Tried for three more minutes with no luck. So I did the best thing I could think of - I added Kahlua to my coffee.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast