4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not enough memory (Excel 97)

I've got a workbook with 4 sheets (339 kB). One sheet contains a database (226 rows and 35 columns). The other three sheets contain a report with 15 embedded graphs each, printable on only 2 A4-pages (all 15 graphs together). The graphs are simple bar charts. A module and userform are in the VBE. The macro runs through the people in the database (one by one), determines which evaluation report should be printed (depending on the level of the function) and then prints the report. At some point in time I added one graph, using copy/paste and then the trouble began. I now frequently get the message 'not enough memory' , leaving me to click the only button (OK) to continue. e.g. I've got this message when I wanted to put a filter on the database, or when I want to change the graphs. I am still able to run the macro, and do some other things, but then, I receive this very ennoying message, sometimes even the fatal error message.
    I don't want to lose this workbook, but can't find a way to solve this problem. I restarted Excel, restarted my computer, saved the file under a different name; nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: Not enough memory (Excel 97)

This sounds like a problem I have from time to time, though I may be wrong. How much free space do you have on the drive on which the file is located? I have to keep over 2 Gb free on my laptop to avoid "unable to save file problems" and "not enough memory" messages. the laptop config is one physical drive of 18Gb partitioned into C and D - both 9 Gb - and C is where both excel is installed and most of my files are saved. Typically this happens when I'm working on reasonably sized files, not small files, but to get round it I have to save the file to another drive -network or D -, quit excel, archive a whole chunk of stuff to D until I'm up to around 3 gig free on C and reboot , then restore the file from the temporary location. I'm not sure whether this is due to the 2 gig being on the drive that excel is installed on or on the drive that the working file is stored on, but I'm fairly sure there's a knowledge base article on it. I'm also under the impression that this or something similar has been up for discussion recently.

I'll have a look for the knowledge base article.

Brooke

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Brooke. Actually, the file is stored on a network drive (Novel network, which is sometimes not the ideal combination with Office products), but I'll check the available free space. I am using a laptop with only a 2Gb hard disk, 128 Mb RAM, which, I thought, was quite suitable to run Excel, even with large workbooks. I'll check my c-drive too for free space, although I never store files on my local c-drive. But, Office is installed locally, so it may have to do with that, you'll never know. I am interested to read that article if you can find it or if you can guide me to that thread?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If I remember corectly, Excel 97 had some problems with the way it handled its internal file structure which limited some things like the number and complexity of graphs. I think most of those were fixed in SP2 though.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Well, I had a look for it but can't see hide nor hair.. What I'm thinking of was an article that acknowledged that on some systems where you have a large hard drive, when the free space drops to 2 gig excel may throw a wobbly - something like the free space pie chart display in windows 95 when you right click on a drive in explorer and select properties, but the other way round. Of course I may be dreaming this up - I couldn't find the kb article - but I'm fairly sure I've seen something about this - anyone else seen this article or anything similar? Just to clarify, We use Novell as well but I have never had the problem on network drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found two knowledge based articles that described a problem that resembles mine: or <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q264/9/86.ASP> here . Unfortunately the proposed solution did not work (I already had SR-2 installed and adding the registry key did not change a thing), so I switched to Excel 2000 and the problem disappeared. Thanks again for your help.