Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, I am faced with the infamous "a network cable is unplugged" error on a XP SP-3 machine. As many of the regulars here know, I am no novice when it comes to working with PCs. So when I post a problem it is generally one that is anything but easy to fix. hehe This is onboard Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC. There is no light displayed when a cable is plugged into the port on the machine. This device was working a couple of days ago and suddenly stopped working. Yes, it is possible that it has died, but having worked on 100s and 100s of PCs over the years, I would be hard-pressed to remember one that stopped working... yep, it is possible of course.

Here's what I've done below so as to save everyone time from suggesting them as possible remedies:

• Tried 3 different cables
    • recycled the modem
    • updated the drivers
    • enabled/disabled the ethernet device in Device Manager
    • uninstalled the device, rebooted, etc.
    • rebuilt Winsock
    • disabled/enabled the firewall
    • tried different ports on the Linksys router
    • stopped and restarted various services, e.g., DNS client, etc.
    • disabled/enabled the device in the BIOS
    • searched Google and read through countless forum/threads with suggested fixes
    • manually set the device for both 100 and 10 Dual Duplex and Half Duplex
    Okay... that's just about it, although doubtless I have missed one or more things I've tried. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at the port on the computer and see if any pins are bent or missing. Should be 8 pins.

JB

Thanks
    onboard Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC. There is no light displayed when a cable is plugged into the port on the machine. This device was working a couple of days ago and suddenly stopped working.
    For the $20 or so it might cost, I'd try adding a PCI NIC. It'll rule out any underlying Windows networking or external router problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen two onboard NICs stop working. I agree it's unusual, but in both cases I grabbed a used one from my parts collection and solved the problem in a few minutes.

Thanks
    Make sure the TCP/IP protocol is sinstalled for this Local Area connection. For some reason, XP will display the cable unplugged notice if it is not installed.