5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, does anyone know of a way to assign the same drive letter to different USB sticks? One is 4GB and the other is 2GB. I only have one of them attached to my computer at one time and I'd like them both to have the letter R: - I've used the computer management console (?) to set the drive letter, but when I assign the R: to the second stick when I put the first stick back in it's reassigned a different letter. This happens regardless of whether I use the safely remove hardware icon or not.

Thanks,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I finally found a search term that lead me to something that might help - the USB Drive Letter Manager

USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Window's drive letter assignment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the privilege to change drive letters.
    It automatically solves conflicts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
    Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.
    And this is why a service is required according to the author:

An USB pen drive (also called 'flash drive', 'memory stick' or in german 'USB-Stick') is drive and media in one. Therefore the drive letter comes and goes with it. In contrast a card reader stays attached and only the card is plugged and unplugged, so the drive letters stay.
    Because it's drive and media in one, each time you plug a pen drive for the first time the Windows plug'n play starts up a assigns the first available drive letter. When the USB has no USB serial then this happens again if it's attached to a different USB port.
    To get rid of the 'first free letter assignment' I wrote the USB Drive Letter Manager which works under Windows 2000, XP and higher.
    Think, I'll check it out

Chris