Lounger
    Thanks
    My son has a new Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 7 and we're experiencing a bit of difficulty accessing his computer's public (shared) folders on the network here at home. The existing network is named Homenet and runs via Powerline portals throughout the house. We can find his system on a different location named Workgroup, but even then, his is the only system apparently requiring a login with password for a supposedly "shared" public folder. I can't seem to find the right spot to assign the computer to "Homenet", and we've set sharing to "on", so I don't know what's hindering access to the public folder.

Any tips on how to get this done? I could go right to the spots I need to check in XP, but W7 has most of this control in different spots than I'm used to.

Cotton

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So on the Win 7 computer in the search box under the 'start' menu type this:

advanced sharing settings

a link will appear above to all the sharing settings, look them over and see if you can get this resolved. If you can't, or have already been there, post again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, it seemed like I was navigating to all the wrong places to get this done. All is now as it should be.

Cotton

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem, by the way, I forgot to mention how to change the workgroup if you haven't already figured that out. In that same search box under the 'start' menu just type workgroup. There will be a link to 'Change Workgroup Name'. After clicking that link you will find the familiar dialogue box that I'm sure you've seen before in XP.

One thing that's not very friendly about 7 is what you've experienced, everything is scattered in unfamiliar spots, or seems to be if you've come from XP like me. But the nice thing is, you can accomplish just about anything by using that search box under the 'start' menu if you know what you're looking for.