Thread: SP3 woes

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello -

I have tried to install SP3 without success. I am stuck at "Finishing Installation, Performing cleanup." The progress bar stopped at approximately 3/4 of the way to the end.

I clicked on Help (the only one of the 4 options available to me [Back, Finish, Cancel are grey] and it was suggested to temporarily turn off virus scan (Avast)). I did turn it off, , quite sure it was too late in the installation for this to make any difference. And, it did not. The progress bar hasn't moved.

So, I left the Software Update Installation Wizard still open, hoping a suggestion for finishing the installation will come via the Lounge. Any suggestions will be eagerly awaited.

If I have to end the installation and since there is no Cancel option or X on the Wizard screen, do I use Task Manager to end it (it now tells me it's running).

Thank you very much.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an update to my previous post, after an interminable time I was told installation was successful. After rebooting, I followed procedure and then received message to effect can't connect using my current wireless network. I tried a different network, same message (I use Netgear). There were no drivers to roll back (and the ones I had were 'working properly).

So, long story short, I uninstalled SP3 and am back in business.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing SP3 on Windows XP Home Edition I had network connection problems. Checking the System tab in eventviewer led me to entries about IRPStackSize being too small (IRP stands for I/O Request Packet). Microsoft Help & Support Article ID: 285089 'Description of the IRPStackSize parameter in Windows 2000, in Windows XP, and in Windows Server 2003' explains how to increase the IRPStackSize value in the registry. In my case it was first necessary to create the IRPStackSize parameter in the registry before being able to set the value. A decimal value of 18 was enough to overcome my network problem without having to uninstall SP3.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your post. I will stay away from SP3 for a while longer. I still don't fully understand why it's advised to install it. I have, so far, never had a security or any other serious problem with SP2.

Curious

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We run SP3 on 2500ish PCs where I work and it's fine. I run it at home and it's fine.
    There are some problems, but that is why you backup.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two computers SP3 worked first time on the desktop, but my laptop would not have it at any price.

The only way I got round it was to reformat the hard drive install all windows upgrades from disc, including SP3 which went in first time.

I then reinstalled the programs and with a few update all is working fine.

In some cases I think this is the only way

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that SP3 will be required at some point for OS patches, as MS attempts to kill off XP support. My understanding is that they'll support it with patches to a point, but SP3 will be a required component for them to load.

Could be wrong, of course.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe you are correct....Thanks