Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    It seems that Office 2010 and Office 2007 are using the same file formats. Is this true? Word and Outlook as well?

Can I, assuming I have backups, work within the two versions interchangeably?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The best information I have is that the file formats have not changed for Office 2010. However, as long as Office 2010 is in Beta, I would use it only as a test environment - there are still significant issues that are being resolved. And be aware that when the production version is released you will have to uninstall the Beta version completely and then install the production version.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Wend all, that's what I had thought. Thanks.

No, I'm not planning on jumping over to 2010 yet. I was and am planning on trying the new install (installed on a virtual machine) to try it out on actual projects to try to discern differences and/or problems.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The file formats are the same though there are some features in W2010 that do not transfer to W2007. For example, the check box content control becomes static text in W2007. If your W2010 documents must also be used in W2007, stay in the compatibility mode.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Pam:

Thanks, Compatible mode will work fine.

Regards,
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I donít know how many new features you have covered in your 2010 testing, but here is a welcome one. At long last you can actually use within Office the features of those OpenType fonts that Microsoft has been supplying for years but that Office has hitherto had no use for other than to pass them on to non-Office applications. If you havenít tried it, give this a try in Word:

Backstage View/Options/Advanced/Layout as if Created in Office Word 2010. Then in Word open the Font Group, select Advanced, and OpenType Features will be displayed. You can apply whichever features you want from that, and that may vary from document to document or from page to page. You might use Ligatures (and zoom in) to test it, since that will be a change that is easy to spot and to play with. I donít think it will work in 2007, but if you save to PDF the typography will be preserved.

Donít blame me if you get hooked.

Thanks
    Thanks Peter!

Regards,
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Thanks Peter!

Regards,
    Chuck
    HERE is a hot-off-the-press link to a fairly extensive description of the feature I was stumbling to explain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    HERE is a hot-off-the-press link to a fairly extensive description of the feature I was stumbling to explain.
    Peter, thanks!

ONe thing I was wondering the other day: if you are running the 2010 beta, how do you know if they've updated the download or a new betat or....?

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    ONe thing I was wondering the other day: if you are running the 2010 beta, how do you know if they've updated the download or a new betat or....?
    You have to keep an eye on the various software news sites that post Microsoft articles. AFAIK, there is NOT going to be another 2010 public release until GA (General Availability) which currently is scheduled to be June 15. It will most likely be released to MSDN & Technet before then.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still not running the beta because I am a TechNet subscriber and to the best of my knowledge 2010 is already RTM for some purposes and I may have access to it 'sometime soon'. (I had Win 7 months before it was released to the public.) My earlier post was based on a lynda.com tutorial which was based on the beta, and since I am a subscriber to lynda.com I thought that I would pass that on without attribution.

Both of those sources are paid subscriptions and as such I tend not to mention them in posts, although from time to time I am tempted to recommend lynda.com to loungers who would probably benefit greatly from it, especially those who remark on how steep the learning curve is. It's steep for me too, believe me.

Thanks
    I am still not running the beta because I am a TechNet subscriber and to the best of my knowledge 2010 is already RTM for some purposes and I may have access to it 'sometime soon'. (I had Win 7 months before it was released to the public.) My earlier post was based on a lynda.com tutorial which was based on the beta, and since I am a subscriber to lynda.com I thought that I would pass that on without attribution.

Both of those sources are paid subscriptions and as such I tend not to mention them in posts, although from time to time I am tempted to recommend lynda.com to loungers who would probably benefit greatly from it, especially those who remark on how steep the learning curve is. It's steep for me too, believe me.
    Peter, ah, alas and alack! TechNet is just too pricey for me, so I just have to poke along!

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Office 2010 is NOT yet RTM. There has been a private RC release for some time that has been available to a select group of testers. Most likely RTM will be in April as Microsoft is saying there will be a business release in May with general availability June 15.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Ah...

Thanks Joe.

Regards,
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Office 2010 is NOT yet RTM. There has been a private RC release for some time that has been available to a select group of testers. Most likely RTM will be in April as Microsoft is saying there will be a business release in May with general availability June 15.

Joe
    My apology Joe, and thank you for setting me straight on that. I did have an online source, which I have been scrambling to find without success, and I think the way they expressed it was to say that it was 'out of beta' (and I interpreted the rest of what they said to mean that it had gone to manufacturers), but your account makes far more sense (or the internet would be alive with minute-by-minute reports of what was going on). It wasn't even recent - I think it may have been as much as a month ago that I read it.

Anyway, thanks, and if I have any reliable news I will pass it along.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast