Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Last week I done a Google search looking for the instruction manual for an old drum machine I own, a Boss DR-660.

I clicked a link purporting to have this manual but suddenly for no reason I ended up at antyvirusbaxblog.com

I was faced with multiple pop-ups telling me my Vista machine was “displaying signs of virus activity” and I should run their “My Computer Online Scan” which seemed to be already running.

I clicked cancel but it wouldn’t. After several attempts I managed to X out of IE8 and then run a full hour-long Kaspersky scan which didn’t find anything wrong.

Then I tried to do a system restore back to the previous day’s restore point but I got the same message I always get when attempting a restore: “System Restore failed due to an unknown problem”.

Never once has System Restore worked for me in the 5 or 6 times I’ve tried it.

My computer seems okay(ish) at the moment, but is there anything else I should or shouldn’t do? Anyone heard of these particular scumbags? Cheers.

Thanks
    This looks like it's a new foistware site, loaded with a drive-by attack designed to create panic and make users pay money to get rid of the 'viruses', hundreds of these sites are created every week

For some preventative measures, immunise with Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster, use OpenDNS and download and install WOT.

Clicking anything on these sites, even the x to close, will infect you - always use Task Manager to kill your web browser.

System Restore not working maybe part of the payload, if not, running SR again the following day will often succeed

Get yourself over to the Bleepingcomputer forums or another respected forum and go through their malware cleanup process.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your advice Andy. I'll get right on to all that stuff.

Good tip about closing down IE with Task Manager; I'll remember that.

Thanks again. Cheers!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try running System Restore in Safe Mode. Often times all the running programs will prevent System Restore from working.

JB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ref your problems with SR. From previous posts on the subject, and my own experiences, most issues with SR not working seem to revolve around whatever security package you have on your machine (in your case Kasparski) - I have NIS and unless I go into NIS's misc settings menu and turn off the option ''Norton product tamper protection'', Norton will not let SR function.

Have a look and see if you have a similar option in K - if yes then turn it off, also turn K off (assuming you're not connected to the internet) and try a SR. Just remember to turn it all back on again before you reconnect!

HTH
    Keith

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks June Bug and aekyall. I'll get on to your tips later.

But at the moment, System Restore not working is the least of my problems.

Seems whatever I'm infected with is causing big (ish) problems.

I'm off to do another mind-numbing 3 hour scan . . .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

Based on the info in this thread and in your other thread, I suspect you MAY have
    what the malware-fighting community calls a "Rogue" ; antiVIRUS programs are
    NOT geared to fighting these types of programs . The PRIMARY program to fight
    "Rogue(s)" is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ( www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ) ,
    which comes in a FREE Version . As an extra level of protection, I recommend you
    also use the FREE Ver of "SUPERAntiSpyware" ( www.superantispyware.com ) .

Sometimes "Rogue(s)" include in their programming the ability to "neutralize"
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware ; IF this occurs, the 1st Countermeasure would be to
    "rename" "mbam-setup.exe" to something else, then try to run the program using
    the "new" Name .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

Based on the info in this thread and in your other thread, I suspect you MAY have
    which comes in a FREE Version . As an extra level of protection, I recommend you

the "new" Name .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

the "new" Name .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

the "new" Name .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

the "new" Name .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

the "new" Name .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

the "new" Name .

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

the "new" Name .

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your advice Robin.

I was under the impression my paid-for Kaspersky Internet Security suite done EVERTHING. At least that's what they promote on the box. Pesky Ruskies!

And I quote: "Viruses, worms, trojans, keyloggers, rootkits, botnets, phishing, spam, hijacking, hacker attacks, id theft, unwanted programs . . . " The list goes on.

So far, from this forum and a few others, I've had recommendations to run 19 different types of security software!

There's no way on this earth I'm going to install something called SUPERantispyware. What next; SUPERDUPERSCRUMDIDDLYUMPTIOUSantispyware!

Even though I've heard of malwarebytes, I'm sure it'd disrupt my Kaspersky suite off extensively if I installed that on top.

At the moment, everything is sorta running okayish . . .

Cheers Robin.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast