Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protech chat

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am new to Skype & recently clicked on this Protech Chat bar & it issued a free trial for 10 days. I do not want to add anything I'm not sure of...wrote to them & they said I have to download the latest version to be able to uninstall. I'm afraid!! They claim that is the only way to uninstall after trial period. The following is what they emailed back to me......

..."We have only seen issues with the uninstaller when people have not downloaded the new software. Each time you boot up you should see something telling you that a new version is available for download. You MUST download that version. We actually fixed the uninstall problem several months ago. The only way you could have any issue is if you have not downloaded that version. Incidentally, the new version much less invasive so you might want to check it out before deciding to uninstall our application. Sorry for the confusing and here is the link to the latest version:

http://www.protech1inc.com/ProtechChatBar_installer.exe

No we don't have anything to annoy you. The honest truth is that we cannot figure out what people are doing to NOT be able to remove our software. There should be a button on the bar that says your trial has expired and click here to remove. We have been chasing this issue are trying to figure it out. I would be happy to offer you a free lifetime license if you would help us figure out what is going on. Once people do get it removed they just go away so we have no idea what is fixing this. We would NEVER force anyone to use our software. NEVER> Thanks, TIm "......

What should I do???????????????

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The application doesn't look nasty, especially as they want you to buy it.

Have you looked in Add/Remove programs for the uninstall option?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,
    I looked to uninstall in Programs & Features & it's not listed!! ??? Should I download the new version & wait for the unsubscribe notice to show up after 10 day trial???

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems like they are playing fast and loose with you and have not included the program in P&F. That is dodgy in my book and I am reluctant to recommend you install it again in the hope that it will then allow you to un-install.

Maybe we can do it manually, but it depends on how the software was installed. Hopefully it was installed via Windows Installer - this makes it relatively easy to un-install.
    Do you remember how you installed it?
    Can you see a directory for it under C:\Program Files?
    Can you see an un-install program in that directory?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am totally stumped! Nothing shows in Program Files either! I ran down the list & even looked at the dates...NOTHING!! Yet, that tool bar comes across the bottom of my screen when I click on it in my Skype extras folder. I'm wondering about the comment he made that they never hear about uninstalling from users after they explain that we must download the latest version. Maybe that's the only way to get it uninstalled????
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, Paul....thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Looks like you will have to bite the bullet and download the program.
    Carefully read the installation screens and don't install anything that seems additional to the program - some programs piggy back additional software as part of the installation - Apple and Adobe are bad at this.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Carefully read the installation screens and don't install anything that seems additional to the program - some programs piggy back additional software as part of the installation - Apple and Adobe are bad at this.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [Hi Paul,

I am happy to say that I did download the new version that Protech suggested & it did show up on my programs & it did have an uninstall button. I uninstalled it with the hope that nothing else snuck in!
    Thank you for your help!
    Warmly,
    Sue

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [Hi Paul,

I am happy to say that I did download the new version that Protech suggested & it did show up on my programs & it did have an uninstall button. I uninstalled it with the hope that nothing else snuck in!
    Thank you for your help!
    Warmly,
    Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast