2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a printer connected to an iMac and I want to print to it from my W7 Home Premium system (connected via a wireless network). There are apparently a couple of choices, one being Apple Bonjour and the other being configuring the printer in W7 via the "Add a Network Printer" process. Bonjour works, but not reliably. Setting up the printer using W7 Add a network printer also works - but with an irritating issue. To reach to printer connected to the iMac, I have to logon to the iMac. W7 pops up a dialog asking for my ID and password, which it accepts, and the printer is available and works fine. There is a check-box in the dialog to remember my credentials for the iMac, which I check. The next time I boot W7 and try to print, the connection fails - and the printer is not available - I have to go into the network control panel, logon to the iMac before I can print. Why doesn't W7 remember my logon credentials for the iMac?

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Make a account on the Windows 7 with the same user name and password as the iMac one. Log into it and get the folders and files made. Log out of it and log back in using your normal account and give that a try.

On the Windows machines one does NOT need to be logged into this identical account, it just has to be a valid one on both machines.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Try resetting the advanced networking setting in Win 7 (see below)

Go to:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

And the select either Home\work or public (depending on how you set up) and reset to "Turn off password Protected"
    ErnieK

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Neither of these suggestions appear to work. I made my W7 account the same (same user name and password) as the iMac, and printing still fails until I manually logon to the iMac - and even if I check "remember my credentials", it doesn't. Turning off passwords in the sharing dialog does nothing - the system just hangs trying to find the printer. If I turn off the option to have W7 manage my printers, the print dialog in my applications work - it seems to find and accept the print job, but the file disappears (when I check the print queue nothing is there and nothing prints). Apple Bonjour works sometimes - but occasionally gets totally hung up, creating multiple print queues with the printer paused on each - and that can't be changed without uninstalling everything. I think my next printer will be wireless so I don't have these problems.

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You are using a real password, as just the "enter key" is NOT a real password.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is "real" - and the account name and password match perfectly for the PC and iMac. I just went back to Bonjour, and it works fine now. If the printer were connected to the PC, the iMac would be able to use it without problem, but my office arrangement is such that I can't conveniently run the USB cable from the PC to the printer.

David