Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am in the process of building the design of a new database and have suddenly run into this problem. Whenever I try to add a new item to a sub form I get the "MS Access has encountered a problem" message. I have tried repairing the D/B. I have created a new D/B and imported everything into it. A previously working form now also generates this error. The MS web site does not seem to have anything that solves the problem. There is lots of code in the forms as they are fairly complex. But at this point I am not sure what to try next.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    What version of Access are you running?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Thesiger View Post
    I am in the process of building the design of a new database and have suddenly run into this problem. Whenever I try to add a new item to a sub form I get the "MS Access has encountered a problem" message. I have tried repairing the D/B. I have created a new D/B and imported everything into it. A previously working form now also generates this error. The MS web site does not seem to have anything that solves the problem. There is lots of code in the forms as they are fairly complex. But at this point I am not sure what to try next.
    You are building the database in Access 2003. How much, if any, of the database is derived from a previous version of Access? What version of Access are you saving the database in? Have you tried, say, saving the DB in Access 2000 format - to see whether that makes any difference? HTH
    Gre

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would suspect a corrupt subform, assuming you have the latest service pack applied to your installation of Access 2003. Try importing everything but the subform in question into a new Access database - and you might use the 2000 format rather than the 2002/3 format. Then try rebuilding the subform and see if you can get it to behave that way.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the replies. To answer the various questions:

1) I am using version 2003 and it is fully patched as is the O/S
    2) It is a brand new database that has only been developed in 2003
    3) It is already in Access 2000 format (is it worth trying in Access2002/2003 format?
    4) I am trying a complete rebuild of the sub form. Can I copy the code from the older version as there is a lot of it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    3) keep it in Access 2000 format

4) you should be able to copy the code.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was going to suggest this Hotfix Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: December 18, 2007. but I see from this post that you already have it.

Another thing to try is decompiling.

Open the db using a shortcut with this structure:

Path to Access Executable Path to db file /decompile

e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE" D:\john\Access\Sample\sample.mdb /decompile

I have sometimes found that saving the db into a different file format e.g. back to 97 or forward to 2003, then converting back to 2000 again can remove odd behaviour.
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, now I have tried rebuilding the sub form and that did not work. I cannot get the de-compile to to work as no matter how I try it the message is always that it cannot find the file or the option (/decompile) is not allowed. Everything else in the database seems to work OK in as much as I can use table maintenance forms (that have sub forms) to add new records with no problem, It obviously has to do with the complexity of the main Quote new/edit form/subforms but I am darned if I know what it is.

I am attaching a test database with the Quote edit forms in it. You will have to start it by opening form frmQuotes_List, click Open Selected Quote and respond yes to the question of whether you want to edit it. This creates a new Version of the quote and then opens the form. When I try to add an item I can get as far as selecting a new product type and Cabinet (which add the new item) but then it crashes out. It also seems to carsh if I try and change a cabinet type.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, now I have tried rebuilding the sub form and that did not work. I cannot get the de-compile to to work as no matter how I try it the message is always that it cannot find the file or the option (/decompile) is not allowed. Everything else in the database seems to work OK in as much as I can use table maintenance forms (that have sub forms) to add new records with no problem, It obviously has to do with the complexity of the main Quote new/edit form/subforms but I am darned if I know what it is.

I am attaching a test database with the Quote edit forms in it. You will have to start it by opening form frmQuotes_List, click Open Selected Quote and respond yes to the question of whether you want to edit it. This creates a new Version of the quote and then opens the form. When I try to add an item I can get as far as selecting a new product type and Cabinet (which add the new item) but then it crashes out. It also seems to carsh if I try and change a cabinet type.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast