Well, first time posting here, figured I'd give my ongoing problem a shot here.
I run a small game server out of my house. The game is Freelancer by Microsoft (Digital Anvil) and has been around since 2003.
I've been running the server out of my place since 2006, so I am not a noob when it comes to running this server. At one point during its heyday we had over 3,000 players worldwide playing on our server.
Lately, since September, we've been having the following error causing the game to crash.
Faulting application flserver.exe, version 1.0.1254.11, faulting module content.dll, version 1.0.1254.11, fault address 0x00014dbc.
The error seems to happen always in that module and at that address.
Otherwise the machine runs perfectly without any problems. Routine full scans of the HDD by AVG and Malwarebytes turn up no nasty software.
Currently the machine is currently a dual-core Pentium4 (D) at 2.8ghz with 4G of RAM running WinXPsp3. Other than the game server software, windows, and AVG there's nothing else installed on the machine.
We had been running the same machine, same operating system, same game, same mod, and same server management software since October of 2008 without a problem. The server management software did update back in April, but no problems between April and September.
All of a sudden back in September we started experiencing these random crashes of the game. They do not seem to be tied to any particular player or player account.
We tried wiping the hard disk and reinstalling everything but no joy there.
We tried re-wiping the hard disk and having all players start with a new account and game file(s) figuring perhaps there were a number of corrupted player files but that didn't fix it either.
Since April we've: replaced the entire machine, replaced the modem, replaced the router, and completely wiped everything. We're still getting these problems.
What else should I be looking for before I just pull the plug. Unless you all can come up with something, I'm looking at ruling out the ISP (Comcast) by leasing a professionally hosted server (can't afford that...), or it's something hostile being done by an angry ex-player, or a competing server.
It should be said that until the middle of December, the game program used to crash in a couple of other *.dll modules as well before finally settling down to the content.dll file. Due to the evolution of the behavior, I'm leaning towards possible hostile activity, but would like some ideas on how to catch that activity if that's what it is.