4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughter's laptop stopped booting and gives her the blue screen "page fault in nonpage area" error. Unfortunately, she cannot find the disks that came with it. It's an HP Pavillion d9000 laptop with two Fujitsu hard drives and Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

The primary hard drive failed the BIOS diagnostics with a #2-07 fail. The secondary hard drive passed fine.

I'd like to try running a chckdsk but can't get it to a DOS prompt using the F8 option. I found an old diagnostic utility CD that could get me to a DOS prompt but didn't recognize the hard drives or CD/DVD drive.

It's looking like my only option is to put a new hard drive in this and reinstall the OS then connect the old primary drive via USB like an external drive and hope I can retrieve the data off it.

What can I do? Is there some other way I get to a DOS prompt that would let me run the chkdsk on the primary drive? Is there something else I can try?
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I figured out how to order replacement disks from HP so I'm going to go that route.
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    I figured out how to order replacement disks from HP so I'm going to go that route.
    Good luck, let us know what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    May want to download and burn a copy of UBCD4WIN (Ultimate Boot CD For Windows).

Download mirrors

How to Burn the .ISO

UBCD4WIN is a basic Windows install that runs off a bootable CD, and will let you access several diagnostic utilities to see what the status of your hard drive is (among lots of other things).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Deveaux View Post
    May want to download and burn a copy of UBCD4WIN (Ultimate Boot CD For Windows).

Download mirrors

How to Burn the .ISO

UBCD4WIN is a basic Windows install that runs off a bootable CD, and will let you access several diagnostic utilities to see what the status of your hard drive is (among lots of other things).
    This looks super promising. The HP recovery disks are no help in repairing the hard drive the way a true Windows XP install disk would have. They only have one option to reinstall so they'll be helpful later if recover fails but are no help with recovery. I think I really just need to find a way to run chkdsk but so far that's not worked for me. Your link to UBCD4WIN may do that for me and more. If this works, this will come in handy some day when I need to do this again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The UBCD4WIN was great. Finally got my chkdsk plus a few other checks. It found one bad sector and the file effected was the pagefile.sys. It did a repair but still gave me the blue screen. I booted back to CD and deleted the pagefile.sys but another reboot to hard drive gave me the error again. I guess it means I just gotta get her a new hard drive.

There's two physical hard drives in the laptop so I'm thinking to swap them, after checking the second one of course. Yes, I made sure it's not just a partition illusion. Do I need to physically switch locations of the hard drive inside the case before doing that OS install? Or can I just tell it to install on D drive during setup?
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Bad sectors on modern hard disks mean the disk is on it's way out and needs replacing. These disks have internal check and repair functions and should never show bad sectors to the OS unless there is a problem.

cheers, Paul