New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having the same issue as described in this thread. I will often get a "disk corrupted" error when I try to save a file during a Win 7 session. When I run chkdsk, I typically get a report like this: "Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute."

This system has two new 1 TB hard drives. At first I directed all of my file writing operations to the first drive. I had no issues with the second drive. When the problems began on the first drive very shortly after installing Win 7, I redirected my file writing operations to the second drive. Now I get chkdsk problems with the second drive and the first drive reports no problems. That makes it seem to me like an operating system issue, not failing hard drives.

There are reports online that users of Avira virus protection software are having chkdsk issues. I don't use Avira, though; I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials,sl that doesn't explain the situation.

BTW, I tried chkdsk /r. Problems continue.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Curren View Post
    I am having the same issue as described in this thread. I will often get a "disk corrupted" error when I try to save a file during a Win 7 session. When I run chkdsk, I typically get a report like this: "Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute."
    I've never used drives that large, so I don't know if your BIOS could be having trouble handling two of them. How old is the machine hardware/motherboard, etc.? Is this file writing you described all from the same application program or from different software? Is your Win 7 OS installed on the first of the two 1 TB drives?

Aside from starting a Google search, the first thing that occurs to me is - can you disconnect ONE of the drives to see if there's any change in behaviour? I'll go do some Googling now to see if I can find anything.

Thanks
    Windows 7 appears to have some problems with 1TB+ drives related to wake from sleep.

Was this a clean install of 7, partitioned and formatted by 7?

EDIT: Welcome to the Lounge, Vincent

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check back in that thread for a post concerning changing the Power Options. The change has eliminated my 55 error... at least so far.
    Regards,
    Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses.

Responding to Bigaldoc's questions: the MB is new. I purchased an inexpensive Compaq (HP) Presario CQ5210F as an inexpensive way to get Win 7 and an upgraded MB. The MB is an OEM made by Asus with an AMD processor. Win 7 was factory installed on a 500 gb drive that was installed with the machine. I used Acronis utilities to partition and clone Win 7 on one of the 1TB drives (drive 0). I also used Acronis to partition the second 1 TB drive (drive 1). I am currently saving files on a partition on drive 1 and that's the drive that has the chkdsk issues. I don't think it's obvious hardware issues: the power supply is plenty big and I've swapped out drive cables.

To Andy Rowlands: thank you for the link to problems with 1 TB drives waking from sleep. I'll check it out.

I can do a "brute force" test to see if the problem is related to different drives and repartitioning, etc by reinstalling the original factory drive and disconnecting the 1 TB drive.. That will put the machine essentially back in factory new condition without any additional applications installed. I'm reluctant to do that except as a last resort since it will take several hours of software installation and configuring to get the machine back to where it's useful for me.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

Vinnie

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Responding to Bigaldoc's questions: the MB is new. I purchased an inexpensive Compaq (HP) Presario CQ5210F as an inexpensive way to get Win 7 and an upgraded MB. The MB is an OEM made by Asus with an AMD processor. Win 7 was factory installed on a 500 gb drive that was installed with the machine. I used Acronis utilities to partition and clone Win 7 on one of the 1TB drives (drive 0). I also used Acronis to partition the second 1 TB drive (drive 1). I am currently saving files on a partition on drive 1 and that's the drive that has the chkdsk issues. I don't think it's obvious hardware issues: the power supply is plenty big and I've swapped out drive cables.
    You are likely to have continuing problems unless you can do repair of your Windows 7 installation. A new MB and hard drive will have different characteristics than the original. So, just cloning the original disk drive carries forward the original hardware definition.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your problems, but it is nice to know that I am not alone here.