New Lounger
    Thanks
    After trial and error I discovered how to fix the spontaneous rebooting problem on my Dell OptiPlex 755 minitower PC. It's running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I changed the default sleep setting in the Dell BIOS from "S3" to "S1". The S3 setting puts the computer into a deeper sleep than the S1 setting. The S1 setting fixed the problem. This problem did not happen when running Windows XP Professional 32-bit.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Harris View Post
    After trial and error I discovered how to fix the spontaneous rebooting problem on my Dell OptiPlex 755 minitower PC. It's running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I changed the default sleep setting in the Dell BIOS from "S3" to "S1". The S3 setting puts the computer into a deeper sleep than the S1 setting. The S1 setting fixed the problem. This problem did not happen when running Windows XP Professional 32-bit.
    Good catch, Pete. Most people don't realize that the BIOS can cause and resolve many problems. I just wish the BIOS developers would give a better explanation of how and why a particular switch effects the system. The little instructions on the right side does not cut it if you're only a newbie or intermediate user. By the way, how is a deep sleep different from a light sleep? I bet they don't really clarify it.