Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    While participating in Black desktop icons, I got to wondering about my versions of DirectX on my XP and Vista installations. (My Windows 7 DID come with DirectX 11 included.)

My XP is still at DirectX 9 and from what I've read, there is NO version 11 yet for XP or Vista. Since I've never "knowingly" updated a DirectX, I was wondering if Microsoft includes updated versions in the usual OS updates or does one have to do so manually?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    While participating in Black desktop icons, I got to wondering about my versions of DirectX on my XP and Vista installations. (My Windows 7 DID come with DirectX 11 included.)

My XP is still at DirectX 9 and from what I've read, there is NO version 11 yet for XP or Vista. Since I've never "knowingly" updated a DirectX, I was wondering if Microsoft includes updated versions in the usual OS updates or does one have to do so manually?
    There are several paragraphs at DirectX download - DirectX 10, DirectX 9, DirectX 8 and the new DirectX 11 - how to get them. which explain DirectX availability in various Windows versions. There is a mention of a download for Vista SP-2 which adds some of the DirectX 11 features to Vista. I think that Description of the Platform Update for Windows Server 2008 and the Platform Update for Windows Vista is the update mentioned.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    There are several paragraphs at DirectX download - DirectX 10, DirectX 9, DirectX 8 and the new DirectX 11 - how to get them. which explain DirectX availability in various Windows versions. There is a mention of a download for Vista SP-2 which adds some of the DirectX 11 features to Vista. I think that Description of the Platform Update for Windows Server 2008 and the Platform Update for Windows Vista is the update mentioned.
    Thanks Joe! I'll read your links when I get home this afternoon.

I did notice at one site I visited this morning that they pointed out that there are a lot of "bad guys" out there pushing FAKE versions of DirectX with which to propagate their trojans and whatever else! We all need to beware that we get OS software and updates ONLY from a MS location.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe! I'll read your links when I get home this afternoon.

I did notice at one site I visited this morning that they pointed out that there are a lot of "bad guys" out there pushing FAKE versions of DirectX with which to propagate their trojans and whatever else! We all need to beware that we get OS software and updates ONLY from a MS location.
    I agree with getting MS updates only from MS. I was only using that "softwarepatch" site because it has the nice description of the DirectX installation availability.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it does contain a nice description. Oh, and I wasn't throwing "rocks" at them. In their paragraph about Vista is this quote:

# Click Start - All Programs - Windows Update.
    # In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I only update when a game says I have to update and usually what is needed is on the game install disc. Is there ever a need to update a working version of DirectX for any other reason?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    I only update when a game says I have to update and usually what is needed is on the game install disc. Is there ever a need to update a working version of DirectX for any other reason?
    The occasional security issue.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    For those of you reading this thread that do not know how to check your version:
    In win 7 type dxdiag in the run box or in a cmd prompt. I assume the cmd prompt would work with earlier versions of Windows as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Al,
    The only updates I apply to DirectX on Windows XP are security related. As we all know Windows XP started with DirectX 8, and with the service packs it was later on updated to 8.1 and 9.0c. On the other hand it was also possible to install the DirectX 9.0, 9.0a, 9.0b, and 9.0c on XP SP1, I think. There were those standalone downloads; but I've never seen any need for that - better to move to the latest SP and get the latest DirectX for that OS version with the SP.

Anyhow, we have seen some security updates, for example for XP:

Post SP2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS05-050.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-064.mspx
    Post SP3:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-033.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms09-011.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-028.mspx
    (Usually critical.)

But they are covered by AU & WU/MU or can be downloaded from MS Download Center.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    For those of you reading this thread that do not know how to check your version:
    In win 7 type dxdiag in the run box or in a cmd prompt. I assume the cmd prompt would work with earlier versions of Windows as well.
    Yes; or the run box, or...