Thread: deleting an OS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to DELETE the Windows OS resident in a partition of a (now external) old IDE HDD, which I am linking to a new machine via USB 2.0 cable.
    The new machine is SATA HDD built.
    Both HHDs (old and new), have XP Pro SP2.
    I know I can make system files visible (My Computer>Tools>Folder options>View>Show hidden files (mark it IN) + Hide protected OS files (mark it OUT)).
    However, before proceeding (highlighting all of those OS in the partition and then deleting them), I would like consult about any possible implications, suggestion(s) and/or precaution(s) to observe.
    I am very cautious and respectful of ALL Windows OS files (both visible and hidden ones). I am a firm believer that Windows OS files have a flashing red light which means: "Don't fool around with us, kid!". Some of them might have a hidden attribute making them undestructible.
    Any reply with advice will be appreciated, as well as any correction on what I listed above as what would be my course of action(s).

daniel rozenberg.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    As long as there is no dual boot environment setup, you should be fine just deleting the files.

Joe

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hi Joe;
    thanks for your indication.
    i will check the BIOS boot assignments and report about.
    rgrds,

dr.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even better way, right click on the partition and quick format; unless you have large amount of data on the same partition that would time-consuming to move.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you just want the Windows OS directory gone? I mean, are you trying to save the data only? What about the Program Files directory? It can get complicated pretty quickly, depending on what you're trying to save.

If you want the Windows directory gone (and I mean gone), open up a command window from the C: drive (Start - Run - cmd and press Enter). Let's say the external drive has D: for its drive assignment. From the command window, type "rd d:\windows /s /q" without the quotes. Modify the drive letter and the Windows directory as needed. (Sometimes the Windows directory is WinNT, for example.) It should chew its way down to the end, as long as the account you're logged in with is in the local Admin group.

Let us know...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Gentlemen
    I appreciate the new suggestions, but (sorry), didnít see them until now because didnít check the posting after my reply to Joe. His comment yesterday was a hammering to the right nail, as it was precisely a boot up problem what was motivating the second OS removal.
    So, I opened BIOS and reassigned boot-up priorities as follows: First, FDD, then CD and finally HDD.
    Made everything visible, removed read only from the OS files, but flash10c.ocx refused to die. Still was showing as hidden.
    I believe that this is because the procedure I outlined yesterday only makes visible the system files of the currently active OS, not of the ones locates elsewhere. Just a theory.
    Nevertheless, the story has a happy ending:
    Recorded the list of the Program Files to load in the new machine, and subsequently used Partition Magic to completely delete the partition lodging ďthat nuisance OSĒ, redistributed the now available space to the other partitions (with the data I try to save), and now I can boot up without any problem.
    Thanks a lot to everyone for your assistance.
    Best regards.

daniel rozenberg.