3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 4 page word 2007 document- a table. i am deleting the content of the cells b/c i am reusing the table for a new project, and need to put different information into the cells. once i delete the old content in the cells, the table increases to 24 pages. basically, the subheadings i have created (servers, desktops, notebooks, cpus, hard disks, operating systems, software, etc.) repeat themsevles 6 times. this is so strange that i cannot even guess at a reason. i mean, What the?

anyone?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    just tried deleting the cell contents, but in a different order (ie, delted from top to bottom instead of bottom to top). table is now 47 pages. lol. nice one, word. way to fail!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    attaching the doc so others can experience the weirdness and comment- it happens when i delete the text in the notebooks cells (dell and hp).

thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    attaching the doc so others can experience the weirdness and comment- it happens when i delete the text in the notebooks cells (dell and hp).

thanks in advance!
    If you clear the "Heading rows repeat" from your table then it will behave normally.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yep, it looks like the first 40+ rows are marked as heading rows to be repeated.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks...though i don't understand the connection btwn deleteing the text from a few cells and the table repeating itself 6 or more times over. why does one result in the other? by why, i mean, what is the logic behind word's decision to do that, since i'm not deleting the cells themselves, just the text within them. and turning a 4 page document into a 24 or 40+ page doc?

is this a bug?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    thanks...though i don't understand the connection btwn deleteing the text from a few cells and the table repeating itself 6 or more times over. why does one result in the other? by why, i mean, what is the logic behind word's decision to do that, since i'm not deleting the cells themselves, just the text within them. and turning a 4 page document into a 24 or 40+ page doc?

is this a bug?
    The 'Heading Rows Repeat' feature is designed to allow one or more rows at the top of a table, to automatically repeat at the top of any subsequent pages that that table may continue over onto. In your attached document, Heading Rows Repeat has been assigned to all of the rows on the first page, and part of the way down the second page - this is basically going to confuse Word since it's going to try to make all of the rows so marked, repeat at the top of every page. It's kind of analogous to applying "Keep with next paragraph" to every paragraph in a document - this would cause the document pagination to behave in flaky ways.

As StuartR advised, just removing the Heading Rows Repeat property from all but the rows that need it, should solve the issue cleanly.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yeah, stuart's reply did solve my problem. thanks. i was just curious as to word's logic there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    yeah, stuart's reply did solve my problem. thanks. i was just curious as to word's logic there.
    You asked Word to put 1½ pages of repeated table rows at the beginning of every page. There was no reasonable logic that would have enabled this to happen, so something unreasonable happened.