2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I don't know if I have this in the correct forum, but couldn't find anything more pertinent. Move me if you wish.

Saturday I installed the new Microsoft Security Essentials for my grand-daughter, which works great. Then yesterday I updated her Windows Live Messenger and it came down with a ton of programs, which I failed to catch and prevent. Writer, Photos, the whole thing. Anyway, I did stop it from making Bing her default search and MSN as her home page and I later unchecked the toolbar. However, now when we boot up her computer, the Search Enhancement Pack comes up in a Program files/Microsoft window. It goes away if I click the X.

I have done the whole procedure of going into regedit and copying the product id in Choice Guard, and running msiexec /x { product id} which asked me if I really wanted to uninstall it, I said yes, and then it responded that it was effective only on installed programs. The window comes up again at boot up. Another suggestion was to put a specific phrase in quotes in the registry. I checked that phrase and found it already was in quotes. I then ran the MicrosoftFixIt50060.msi and still no luck.

Any other ideas? It's really aggravating to have that screen pop up every time the computer boots. I see lots of aggravation on the forums in June or July 2009 about this problem, but no further ideas to try. Can't find any new info on Microsoft. The Live Messenger I installed for her was the latest version Microsoft had as of yesterday. Thanks. judson

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    System restore to the first point behind the install(s) and then download and install only the messenger update again if so desired.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HI, Byron.
    Yes, I may have to do that, but I hesitate to do it. She's got dialup and it took over 3 hours to download just the Messenger software. Yuk! They're getting wireless next month. Maybe we'll just have to deal with it until then. The bad part is that when the Search Enhancement Pack window comes up, her Microsoft Security Essentials remains turned off until we click the X to get rid of the window. Then Security Essentials turns itself back on. In that regard, I guess we're lucky she doesn't have a 24/7 connection right now. Hopefully we can find a different track. Thanks. Judy