Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm building a new box for Win7 to replace my Win2K box (to join my still alive Win95 box). I think I may have bought from Newegg the wrong flavor software.

The shipping box says: 64-bit software, OEM System Builder Pack - Intended for system builders ONLY, Windows 7 Professional.

Two problems:

1. Months ago I read somewhere that, when it comes, the software disk will carry both 32 and 64, and I can select either one to install. But now I can't find that information. Is that true? Right now I only want 32. Maybe 64 later, if I'm still around.

2. And being a "System Builder" doesn't really appeal to me. Would this be a problem? I just want my Win7Box and me. And the Pro to hold my hand, just like those good old days.

By the way, it cost me $139.99, so I would expect to be able to select 64 when the day comes.

Any help for this old geezer will be very much appreciated.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm afraid you are correct that you may have bought the wrong product. The OEM System Builder Pack requires that you provide your tech support. I think you wanted the Retail version of Window 7 Pro.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    So I am providing Tech Support only to myself, no one else. No problem there for years.

At Newegg, the only 7Pro I could find was the OEM, and I didn't catch that it was a Builder Pack. I didn't find a Retail version. What is the price difference? Am I allowed to swap? Is the Retail cheaper?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Berles View Post
    At Newegg, the only 7Pro I could find was the OEM, and I didn't catch that it was a Builder Pack. I didn't find a Retail version. What is the price difference? Am I allowed to swap? Is the Retail cheaper?
    1. "OEM" and "Builder Pack" are identical to Retail except for packaging and as mentioned support. There may be other "legal" restrictions on transferring the operating system to another machine if required too, but in my experience I have had no problem installing an "OEM/System Builder" version on a new or refurbished box, BTDT many times over the years. Oh, and if someone is tempted to chide me for violating the "rules", please don't. Simply make mention that doing such isn't officially allowed according to the written terms of use. However, again... I have had no problem whatsoever in doing so and by that I mean on the occasion I have installed one of the "OEM/System Builder" versions on a different or refurbished box and had to call Microsoft for validation, they were more than amiable and provided the new "key", etc.

2. It would seem that the "System Builder" versions come in separate 'flavors'; 32-bit and 64-bit, unlike the Retail boxed versions which contain both. So, if you want the 32-bit version, which I also prefer, simply call newegg, explain you didn't realize that it was ONLY 64-bit and you want to exchange it for the 32-bit. Newegg is most always more than willing to work with its customers in such matters.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if your PC is 64 bit capable, you should install the 64 Bit version. AS time goes by more and more software will become available to support 64 bit and at that time you will boot your butt for not taking the step now.

One caveat, if your present install is W2K 32 bit, I believe you will have to clean install rather than in place upgrade, but I believe this is the far superior method anyway. Start with a clean slate. If you are willing to supply support for yourself then go for it.

The others are correct, only the retail upgrade and full install variety have both 32 bit and 64 bit disks, although you can only use the key for one or the other, not both. In my case I purchased a student/staff disk since my wife works for a University and we qualify. These also only came with a single disk, either 32 bit or 64 bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Unless there has been a very recent update to the Windows 7 licensing terms, a user building a PC for his/her own use should not be purchasing an OEM version. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: No OEM For You: Windows 7 OEM Packaging is Not For Individuals and Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com.

Note: this is a significant change from prior OEM licensing where a user building a PC for home use could purchase and install an OEM version and still be OK according to the license.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are articles in Windows Secrets about how messed up the whole licensing and version thing has gotten, but its just as easy to see right through it when one starts examining and comparing price scales. Of course there's no way volume builders are paying the public OEM price and what in the h-e double hockey sticks is a single license OEM?? Think about that if its not abundantly clear that there really is no such animal as a single license OEM; its actually somewhere in the middle between a real OEM pricing structure and full retail, but much closer to full retail since it comes with zero support liability on the part of Microsoft. Microsoft knows what's going on or it wouldn't be allowed for sale at all in such a manner. I think this FUD on the part of Microsoft may in large part be on purpose since I'm very sure that if they wanted to, a much more clear building and upgrading path could be revealed. The alternative to purposeful FUD is a nearly complete lack of good business organization; in other words, they're idiots. The last time I ckecked though, idiots don't make 4+ billion a quarter or whatever it is.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all you guys for educating me.

Ted, mine is a new box so I will automatically give it a clean install.

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Berles View Post
    Thanks to all you guys for educating me.

Ted, mine is a new box so I will automatically give it a clean install.

Bob

I think that is the very best thing. I've heard of too many problems with upgrade in place. Enjoy your PC and have fun.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Byron Tarbox,
    What is your definition of your term " FUD" ?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Unless there has been a very recent update to the Windows 7 licensing terms, a user building a PC for his/her own use should not be purchasing an OEM version. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: No OEM For You: Windows 7 OEM Packaging is Not For Individuals and Is it OK to use OEM Windows on your own PC? Don't ask Microsoft | Ed Bott's Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com.

Note: this is a significant change from prior OEM licensing where a user building a PC for home use could purchase and install an OEM version and still be OK according to the license.
    1. According to Paul Thurrott, you have never been able to move an OEM Windows operating system to another machine. Yet, as stated above, I have done this on several occasions with the help of Microsoft tech support via phone. I was given a new product key and it was activated immediately.

2. I am in total agreement with Ed Bott's final comment from the article you linked above where he concludes:

Normally, I'm a firm believer in following the letter and the spirit of software license agreements. In this case, though, given Microsoft's complete breakdown in communicating with its customers, I'm willing to make a major exception. I have no problem enthusiastically recommending these discounted copies of Windows for anyone building a PC for their own personal use. And I think someone at Microsoft should step up and formally approve that exception. It's the right thing to do.
    My business is building, upgrading and repairing PCs. And for the many years I have been doing this I have purchased OEM/System Builder copies of Windows operating systems to install on machines which are sold to customers. But surprise, surprise... I have also built myself a few of these machines and likewise used one of these OEM/System Builder disks to install the operating system. This is a practice I plan to continue doing. There is no way I'm going to only use these discs for clients and then go out and buy a full Retail version for my own PC.

That's my
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just sell to yourself for and it would still be legal

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast