Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know that Brian has posted elsewhere that the admins don't constantly monitor the posts in this forum, and if we need an immediate reply to use the "Contact an Administrator" link at the bottom of the page. I had originally considered doing so rather than posting here, but I think this is an important issue that everyone deserves the answer to, and I'd appreciate it if one of the admins could respond publicly here.

Since posting yesterday morning, I have carefully re-read the rules; and yes, according to the published rules the moderators and administrators may edit or delete any post, for any reason, without notice (even if it does not violate any of the specific rules).

However, my question is not what is "legal" under the terms of this lounge, but what the policy is for documenting any edits or deletions to members' posts. Obviously, I'll have to live with the answer, but I strongly believe we all deserve to know if my suspicions are correct that we must not post any material that runs counter to the opinion of one (any?) of the admins, or our post (or even the entire thread) might be summarily deleted, and we'll never know which admin the post offended, or why. (These suspicions have only been strengthened by Claude's resignation and the disappearance of that thread.)

Since it is possible that none of the admins have yet read this thread, I'll be patient for a while longer, and only "contact an administrator" if we haven't seen an administrator's response by tomorrow.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know that Brian has posted elsewhere that the admins don't constantly monitor the posts in this forum, and if we need an immediate reply to use the "Contact an Administrator" link at the bottom of the page. I had originally considered doing so rather than posting here, but I think this is an important issue that everyone deserves the answer to, and I'd appreciate it if one of the admins could respond publicly here.

Since posting yesterday morning, I have carefully re-read the rules; and yes, according to the published rules the moderators and administrators may edit or delete any post, for any reason, without notice (even if it does not violate any of the specific rules).

However, my question is not what is "legal" under the terms of this lounge, but what the policy is for documenting any edits or deletions to members' posts. Obviously, I'll have to live with the answer, but I strongly believe we all deserve to know if my suspicions are correct that we must not post any material that runs counter to the opinion of one (any?) of the admins, or our post (or even the entire thread) might be summarily deleted, and we'll never know which admin the post offended, or why. (These suspicions have only been strengthened by Claude's resignation and the disappearance of that thread.)

Since it is possible that none of the admins have yet read this thread, I'll be patient for a while longer, and only "contact an administrator" if we haven't seen an administrator's response by tomorrow.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Samantha

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Samantha

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Samantha

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    Samantha,

There is no policy or even simple, emotional response that will get a post deleted for disagreeing with an admin. We have Stephanie, who answers the phones and reader emails here and authors a column in the weekly newsletter, Dennis, who edits and compiles the newsletter, Tony (me), sysadmin and developer, and Brian, the president of Windows Secrets. Along with our normal jobs here, we all spend as much time in the Lounge as we can to answer questions, take note of problems, and to ensure that the atmosphere is friendly, inviting, and helpful. We're not perfect and we're learning to replace all of the admins who quit last month.

It seems one or more of us has stepped afoul of some of the unspoken rules of the [s]old[/s] legacy admins (there is currently no written policy requiring an admin or mod to notify a user that their post has been edited, moved, or deleted and why, even though we probably should have one) a few times and now we've got some offended, long-time Loungers to repair things with. The thing is, you've all handled these types of dust-ups among yourselves for so long that we weren't prepared to have to get in and apologize for our occasional clumsiness. We thought we'd simply add functionality, improve infrastructure, contribute content and new users, and end up with a much improved Lounge in the end.

Now, Brian has had disagreements with some of the [s]old[/s] legacy admins over the direction he's taking the Lounge, and those disagreements have spilled out into public on occasion, but the rest of us are just here to facilitate communication between the Lounge members. We are not, generally, active in the non-administrative threads and we leave most of the editing, moving, and deleting of threads or comments to the moderators. The recent spate of open hostility to admins has left us a little gun-shy and confused as toward whom it is directed. In fact, just posting this long response to your question has my stomach in my throat a little.

If you ever notice something that has been done in a discourteous way by an admin (or even if you don't know who did it), please PM or email me directly. I can look at the history of admin/mod activity and find out who did it and remind them how it should be done. If you post your complaint to a forum, I may or may not see it in time to do something about it before things get ugly. Just try to bring my attention to the thread if you think it's something best handled by an admin.

Thanks for your continuing patience,
    Tony

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Samantha,

There is no policy or even simple, emotional response that will get a post deleted for disagreeing with an admin. We have Stephanie, who answers the phones and reader emails here and authors a column in the weekly newsletter, Dennis, who edits and compiles the newsletter, Tony (me), sysadmin and developer, and Brian, the president of Windows Secrets. Along with our normal jobs here, we all spend as much time in the Lounge as we can to answer questions, take note of problems, and to ensure that the atmosphere is friendly, inviting, and helpful. We're not perfect and we're learning to replace all of the admins who quit last month.

It seems one or more of us has stepped afoul of some of the unspoken rules of the [s]old[/s] legacy admins (there is currently no written policy requiring an admin or mod to notify a user that their post has been edited, moved, or deleted and why, even though we probably should have one) a few times and now we've got some offended, long-time Loungers to repair things with. The thing is, you've all handled these types of dust-ups among yourselves for so long that we weren't prepared to have to get in and apologize for our occasional clumsiness. We thought we'd simply add functionality, improve infrastructure, contribute content and new users, and end up with a much improved Lounge in the end.

Now, Brian has had disagreements with some of the [s]old[/s] legacy admins over the direction he's taking the Lounge, and those disagreements have spilled out into public on occasion, but the rest of us are just here to facilitate communication between the Lounge members. We are not, generally, active in the non-administrative threads and we leave most of the editing, moving, and deleting of threads or comments to the moderators. The recent spate of open hostility to admins has left us a little gun-shy and confused as toward whom it is directed. In fact, just posting this long response to your question has my stomach in my throat a little.

If you ever notice something that has been done in a discourteous way by an admin (or even if you don't know who did it), please PM or email me directly. I can look at the history of admin/mod activity and find out who did it and remind them how it should be done. If you post your complaint to a forum, I may or may not see it in time to do something about it before things get ugly. Just try to bring my attention to the thread if you think it's something best handled by an admin.

Tony

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Samantha,

Tony

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Samantha,

Tony

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Samantha,

Tony

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Samantha,

Tony

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Samantha,

Tony

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Samantha,

Tony

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johnston View Post
    It seems one or more of us has stepped afoul of some of the unspoken rules of the old admins (there is currently no written policy requiring an admin or mod to notify a user that their post has been edited, moved, or deleted and why, even though we probably should have one) a few times and now we've got some offended, long-time Loungers to repair things with.
    Tony, the old lounge software included icons to show that posts or threads had been relocated or removed, so to some extent it was self documenting. Further, the legacy Mods and Admin (please don't call us old, I don't need to be reminded that time passes ) maintain a tradition of advising Loungers the reason for edits, moves and removals, either in-thread or by PM, with very few exceptions, and those exceptions related to obvious SPAM posts or blatant advertising (which also usually resulted in the immediate banning of the member).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johnston View Post
    It seems one or more of us has stepped afoul of some of the unspoken rules of the old admins (there is currently no written policy requiring an admin or mod to notify a user that their post has been edited, moved, or deleted and why, even though we probably should have one) a few times and now we've got some offended, long-time Loungers to repair things with.
    Tony, the old lounge software included icons to show that posts or threads had been relocated or removed, so to some extent it was self documenting. Further, the legacy Mods and Admin (please don't call us old, I don't need to be reminded that time passes ) maintain a tradition of advising Loungers the reason for edits, moves and removals, either in-thread or by PM, with very few exceptions, and those exceptions related to obvious SPAM posts or blatant advertising (which also usually resulted in the immediate banning of the member).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    [acronym title="Gday mate!"][/acronym] [acronym title="What up Dude?"][/acronym] UTC -7±DS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast