New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not too sure where to post this....Hopefully this is correct

I have just taken delivery of a new PC with Windows 7. I have a solid state drive for my operating system & other programs and want to save all my documents/videos/pictures etc on the standard hard disk drive.

I want to change the location of the 'Users' directory off the SSD. While I know how to change the default save directory in various programs and the how to change the location of the temporary internet file location, I really want to change the whole default (AppData, Contacts, desktop, downloads, favorites, links, my documents etc etc) so that any new program (or user) is automatically directed to the standard hard disk. This way I can prevent files accumulating on the smaller SSD. Seems especially the case with 'Users/name/AppData' that can contain large cache files.

Probably a simple answer that I should be able to find myself - but I can't seem to see where I would do this... Can anyone direct me please?

PS, I do have an understanding (I think) about libraries, but I want to change the actual location of the files, not just the index to the files.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can't do that for all the folders under C:\Users. When you right click on a folder and select Properties if there is a Location tab you can change it. AppData can't be moved but the folders under it (Local, Local Low, & Roaming) can.

You probably have to copy all the existing data yourself.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you go directly to the folders in your user profile that you want to move, right clicking and choosing properties will reveal a Location tab if that folder can be moved. Most of the standard data folders can be moved but some like the AppData folder are treated more like system folders and cannot be moved. As far as I know, each movable folder is moved individually but I would think some TweakUI utility may be around or in the works for moving all that can be moved.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The folder locations are stored in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders; you can change them there. Though a tool like Tweak 7 from TotalIdea makes it as lot easier. The only folder I have not been able to move is Desktop - the registry setting retains the new location but the desktop displayed is always the original.