Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I have the following vba that I'd like to use in order to convert batches of documents:

Code:
    Sub convertprecedents()

Const strPath = "L:\PrecedentConversionProject"

'Loop counter
        Dim i As Integer

'Doc variable
        Dim doc As Document

With Application.FileSearch
            .FileType = msoFileTypeWordDocuments
            .LookIn = strPath
            .Execute

For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count

Application.StatusBar = "Processing" & .FoundFiles(i)

Set doc = Documents.Open( _
            FileName:=.FoundFiles(i))

ActiveDocument.CopyStylesFromTemplate Template:="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Forms\non-legal documentation.dot"
            ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Forms\non-legal documentation.dot"

doc.Close SaveChanges:=True

Next i

End With

End Sub
    It falls down in that doc.close SaveChanges:=True doesn't execute due, I suspect, to interwoven integration. Can anyone advise me as to how to get around this please?

Thanks in advance,

Violet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It is probably not the cause of your problem, but I think you should not be referencing ActiveDocument in the middle of the loop, I think that you mean "doc".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Stuart - changed that but still falls down at doc.close savechanges:=true...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by violet View Post
    Thanks Stuart - changed that but still falls down at doc.close savechanges:=true...
    Still worth changing though.

You could try putting DoEvents on a line by itself just before (and just after) you close the document, in case something is going on in the background. It is a good idea to do this in any event when running a loop that could be quite long.

Edited to add...
    It would also be good practice to put
    Set Doc = Nothing
    at the end, before the End Sub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It falls down in that doc.close SaveChanges:=True doesn't execute due, I suspect, to interwoven integration. Can anyone advise me as to how to get around this please?
    As you say, it's likely that the Interwoven integration hooks into Word's DocumentSave event, in order to run its own code, and this is conflicting with your code. Would it be feasible (depending on who you user is, I guess) to turn off the Interwoven integration (even if just unloading the add-in via the user interface), before doing batch conversions of documents? - You could then have your user restart Word after the batch conversion is finished, to relaunch the Interwoven integation.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you say, it's likely that the Interwoven integration hooks into Word's DocumentSave event, in order to run its own code, and this is conflicting with your code. Would it be feasible (depending on who you user is, I guess) to turn off the Interwoven integration (even if just unloading the add-in via the user interface), before doing batch conversions of documents? - You could then have your user restart Word after the batch conversion is finished, to relaunch the Interwoven integation.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gary

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Violet,

I'd suggest something along the lines of:
    Code:
    Dim StrTemplate as String 
    StrTemplate = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Forms\non-legal documentation.dot"

Set doc = Documents.Open(FileName:=.FoundFiles(i))
      With doc
        .CopyStylesFromTemplate Template:=StrTemplate
        .AttachedTemplate = StrTemplate    
        .Close SaveChanges:=True
      End With
    Next
    Set doc = Nothing
    Do note that Application.FileSearch doesn't work in Office 2007 (or, I suspect, Office 2010). So, if you're looking to use this sub with current versions of Office, you may need to change to the Dir function.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Violet,

Code:
    StrTemplate = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\Forms\non-legal documentation.dot"

With doc
      End With
    Next
    Set doc = Nothing
    Do note that Application.FileSearch doesn't work in Office 2007 (or, I suspect, Office 2010). So, if you're looking to use this sub with current versions of Office, you may need to change to the Dir function.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Violet,

Code:

With doc
      End With
    Next
    Set doc = Nothing
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast