Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

As part of my template, I provide a macro to add a textbox to the left of the current paragraph/table row/etc to indicate changes in a particular version of the software etc. This macro works perfectly. The problem is that the users would like to run the macro *once* & then just copy or move the textbox to another paragraph etc. Now, what happens is that the textbox disappears when moved to another location/paragraph. For example, move it down verticall & it disappears!. Also, should I consider using frames instead of textboxes although I don't know much about frames so it may be an irrelevant question.

Incidently, the template has the page set-up as follows: T= 1, B=1, L=2, R=1 inches. The textbox is to the left of the normal paragraph. See snapshot.

The macro is as follows:
    Code:
    Sub InsertNewInFlash()
    '
    ' Inserts a new in flash text box
    '
        Dim myTBox As Shape
        Dim curSec As Variant

if ( Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style <> ActiveDocument.Styles (wdStyleHeading1) And _
            Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style <> ActiveDocument.Styles (wdStyleHeading2) And _
            Selection.Paragraphs(1).Style <> ActiveDocument.Styles (wdStyleHeading3) ) Then

StartUndoSaver

' Switch off screen updates
            Application.ScreenUpdating = False

' Insert a 'New in v' text box flash to the left of current selection
            Set myTBox = ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, _
                                                          InchesToPoints(-1#), _
                                                          InchesToPoints(-0#), _
                                                          45#, _
                                                          25, _
                                                          Selection.Range)
            With myTBox
                .TextFrame.MarginTop = InchesToPoints(0#)
                .TextFrame.MarginLeft = InchesToPoints(0#)
                .TextFrame.MarginRight = InchesToPoints(0#)
                .TextFrame.MarginBottom = InchesToPoints(0#)

.TextFrame.TextRange.ParagraphFormat.Style = FLASHINFO
                .TextFrame.TextRange = "New in v"

.Line.Visible = msoFalse
                .LockAnchor = False

.WrapFormat.Type = 3
                .ZOrder msoBringInFrontOfText

.Select
            End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

StopUndoSaver
        End If
    End Sub
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Haven't had a chance to run your code, but was wondering if you might get a better-behaved textbox if you inserted it as an autotext (that you had previously created manually and saved as an autotext in your template), rather than creating it from scratch each time programatically - anyway, that's how I insert textboxes, and they seem to behave well.

Frames are a somewhat deprecated feature and in any case, they are inline with text, which probably wouldn't work with the kind of layout requirement you have here.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Haven't had a chance to run your code, but was wondering if you might get a better-behaved textbox if you inserted it as an autotext (that you had previously created manually and saved as an autotext in your template), rather than creating it from scratch each time programatically - anyway, that's how I insert textboxes, and they seem to behave well.

Frames are a somewhat deprecated feature and in any case, they are inline with text, which probably wouldn't work with the kind of layout requirement you have here.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Hi Robie,

Gary
    That's an interesting thought Gary. There must have been a reason why I am creating it everytime but I can't remember now. The only thing is that this textbox is locked to the current paragraph and therefore needs to move with it if info is added before that paragraph. Would that be possible with autotexted(is that a new word) textbox?

I will try your Autotext method. Presumeablly, I can move the autotexted textbox once added to a paragraph! Then add a textbox and move it arround, and see whether it disappears or not.
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary
    That's an interesting thought Gary. There must have been a reason why I am creating it everytime but I can't remember now. The only thing is that this textbox is locked to the current paragraph and therefore needs to move with it if info is added before that paragraph. Would that be possible with autotexted(is that a new word) textbox?

I will try your Autotext method. Presumeablly, I can move the autotexted textbox once added to a paragraph! Then add a textbox and move it arround, and see whether it disappears or not.
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Robie,

Gary

Thanks.
    Robie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast